Sharon Marie

Jacob's Ladder

My Jacobs Ladder plant has been doing SO well... until I put about 2" of mulch down and it started to bloom. I'm not sure which of those factors contributed to this but... It looks like it is wilting.. the blooms are doing well.. but the plant is drooping like it needs water? We've had more than enough rain.. it's in a very well drained raised bed. Any suggestions? Here is a picture.[img]https://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/sharontrobaugh/HPIM3576.jpg[/img] [img]https://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/sharontrobaugh/HPIM3573.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You did keep the mulch away from the base of the plant, right? :?:

Sharon Marie

No, should I remove the mulch away from the base of all my plants? This is the one thing I didn't know!!!!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The mulch shouldn't actually touch the plant stems. Pull it back so it's about 4 inches away from the stems. Mulch can heat the soil, and if it's too close to a plant's stems, it can cause problems ... sometimes even kill a plant. Mulch can be raked right up to, and sometimes over, plants to protect them during the winter.

Not sure that will totally solve the problem, but the plant will be happier. :)

Sharon Marie

Thanks! I will be doing this as soon as I'm home from work tomorrow :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If the plant doesn't improve within a few days, post again. There may be something else going on with it. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Mulch which is in direct contact with the stem or trunk of a plant also provides a direct avenue for invaders to crawl up that stem or trunk without even having to work for it... :x

And direct-contact mulch can restrict the air circulation at the trunk, inviting diseases and/or insects to drop by.

I have wood-chip mulch around my roses, but I've left a 2", max. 3", radius clear at the bottom of each plant. My poor roses...they have enough difficulty without me extending an invite...but that story is chronicled elsewhere. :roll:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Sharon Marie

First thing I did today on lunch was drive home and move the mulch far away from the plant.. I did see several wilted slimy leaves at the bottom. I removed those and I didn't see any insects. I will definitely post again with an update.!!! Thanks so much for the advise since all the other plants are doing well, I'm leaving them alone for now.. but this weekend one of my plans is to thin out the mulch around the bases of all the plants. Thanks SO much for letting me know! I had no clue!!!

Sharon Marie

Alls I can say is
MANY MANY MANY THANKS! The wilting is dissapearing!!!!!! I will take some pictures and post soon :) The blooms have started to open up and I am so pleased!!!
You all are the BEST!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm happy to hear that we were able to help you! I look forward to seeing the new pics! :)

Return to “Perennials”