ecomike1

Mystery Plant

I'm having trouble finding out what this plant this leaf belongs to. It's growing beside my house in almost full shade and is about 7' tall...It's totally herbaceous, too. I just moved in so I'm not sure what the flower looks like, either. Any help would be greatly appreciatied.

Thanks,

[img]https://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt281/Ecomike1/Mysteryleaf.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm not positive, because I can't see enough of the plant to determine it's growth habit, nor can I tell the size of the leaves. However, based on my assumption that this plant is a vine, it looks very like hedge bindweed. If that is what it is, you certainly want to destroy it. Dig out the roots, because it's very invasive and difficult to control. :(

If this is not a vine, could you post another picture of it? One taken from a different angle, and perhaps showing more of the plant, would be helpful. :)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

no, that doesn't vine, has many single stalks that form big clumps, right? and dies back to the ground every year? I remember it a lot from when I lived in vt...sadly, I don't know its name, sorry.

ecomike1

Here's and image of the form of the Perennial. The leaves are approximately 4" at the base by the petiole (I believe it's a truncate base, entire margin and acuminate tip?) The leaves are held in an alternate pattern and the stems are long and arching.

[img]https://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt281/Ecomike1/mysteryplant2.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the help so far!

ecomike1

Potatoes,

You are right about it dying back every year. The picture shows some stalks from last years growth.

Solveig
Cool Member

It could be Japanese knotweed, Fallopia japonica.

ecomike1

Solveig, I think you've nailed it! All the pics I've looked at point to Fallopia japonica.

I guess I'm taking it out...Looks like it's an invasive species

Thanks!

frankh
Newly Registered

I agree with knotweed

Return to “Perennials”