ksydik
Newly Registered

thinning/transplanting false indigo

I have a patch of false indigo in my front garden. It has been established for several years now. There are probably at least a dozen stalks and it is about 3-4 feet tall. It is currently getting too thick where it is and is starting to choke out our rhododendron bush. (plus the garden symmetry is lop-sided) I would like to divide it up into two patches. I read that false indigo doesn't do well with transplanting, though. Should I try transplanting some and take my chances? Should I just keep the seed pods and plant the seeds in another area of the garden? Is there a better time of year to transplant or thin? (I don't want to completely kill the patch we do have. Thanks for your help and advice. :)

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I don't know where you are located but for most of North America it is far too late in the season to divide your plant and a less than optimum time to transplant it. Baptisia sp. can be moved successfully if you take enough soil with it and don't disturb the root system too much. The best time to move or divide them is in the early spring.

ksydik
Newly Registered

We're in Southeast Nebraska. Maybe I should wait until next spring.

Return to “Perennials”