The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Perennial Power!

Talking with some expert on garden center trends and he says perennials and annuals account for around 80% of all garden center sales! Finally passed the trees and shrubs...how come? C'mon folk's, why do you buy perennials over shrubs...?

Love to hear why

The Helpful Gardener

Grey
Greener Thumb

I think what I saw in Florida was people wanted a more "open" looking landscape - shrubs tend to block things off. Back in the 70s (and earlier, I am sure), people wanted shrubs to use instead of fences, or along fences, as a privacy thing. But now... low grasses, perennials, things that add color but don't cut up your yard are the thing.

Personally, I love shrubs, they make a great backdrop for any number of perennial plantings, and I like that they can grow tall enough (depending upon the plant) to create garden spaces or "rooms."

I think too - since perennials seem to be pushed more in magazines such as Better Homes & Gardens, a lot of people have forgotten about shrubs, the color they can offer, etc. Or, for a newer gardener - they know nothing about them & the way they can be used in plantings.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

One of the things I like is the shorter maturity cycle that lets me divide and replant and divide and donate and increase the effect of my purchase geometrically. You can do it with shrubs and trees but it is a slower process...

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I think another reason that people have turned more to perennials, at least up here, is that they can't afford anymore to go on those far away holidays, so they're making their yards their oasis. This means (to them) get rid of all that low maintenance stuff - shrubs, and get some pretty stuff.
Many people don't even think of mixing shrubs with perennial plantings. I also don't think that alot of people are aware of the variety of shrubs that are available now. It's not just the pyramid or globe cedar, juniper, etc.

Also, the variety of perennials available to us these days is far beyond what you used to be able to get. People are spreading their wings! :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

True, lots of new perennials, but lots of new shrubs too. I'd be suprised to find it's just novelty; I suspect smaller holes have something to do with it too...

HG

I perfer perennials over shrubs because perennials are easy to make more you just have to divide them or when they flower wait til the seeds dry and thow them where you like they will grow but shrubs are nice too too in the spring cut the new growth and stick them in some water with willow cutting and they will root

Return to “Perennials”