hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Nice clump of salvia

I just love blue flowers!

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3347/3538094163_a975c2a289.jpg[/img]
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

DankyDoo

just wondering if u have ever started these from seeds and are they hard to start from seed?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I bought a pack of salvia seeds last year, but have yet to plant them. Last year I did plant some false indigo, some blanket flowers, and some prairie mallow from seed. All germinated well and I think would have done well this spring. I neglected to water the plants in the fall, and had the prairie mallow potted in too dense soil. Most all blanket flowers survived and have been moved to the wildflower perennial garden. All but one prairie mallow and one false indigo died. In the future I will be starting more perennials from seed. Will also give them more attention during that first year from seed!
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

henley
Newly Registered

I just got into gardening in 2008 and I had one of these inserted into a hanging basket and I had to set the whole basket in a big pot this salvia grew to be three feet tall and he even split in the wind and lived. I bought a pernnial of this to have forever in my garden.
I have some tomato plants I have started from seed and now they are too wet and I have repotted them. I gave them some asprin, for root growth and I wonder if they are going to die. They were in hot wet pots in the sun.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

salvia

Salvia is a great plant--very easy to start from seed, once established very tough and hardy, drought and pest resistant. Comes in a big range of beautiful colors. I have a perennial purple salvia, that in spring gets absolutely covered in spikes of deep intense purple flowers. After the first flush, if you keep it deadheaded, it keeps producing flowers all season though never as many at once as in the beginning. But I started with one plant (that I bought, sorry to admit!) and now have four of them scattered around my yard as it keeps getting bigger and I keep dividing it. It is also very easy to divide and transplant, doesn't seem to mind getting moved.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Alex, have you tried [url=https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SIAN3]Sisyrinchium[/url] yet?

I have 'Lucerne' on my native border; a purpler cultivar, true, but I am still representing a [url=https://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/sisyrinchiumangu.html]native of my area[/url]

And yours. And a lovely blue... :D As is that Salvia; is it 'Blue Hill'?

I have 'May Night' and 'Caradonna', both far more purple than yours. I had been contemplating tracking down a 'Blue Hill' and you may have tipped me over the edge... I reaally like [url=https://www.finegardening.com/plants/articles/salvia-nemorosa-caradonna.aspx]'Caradonna'[/url] too, if you like purple, real purple this one is a winner...

HG
Scott Reil

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Salvias are my latest infatuation. They have so much variety in color and height. Also, the hummers and the bees just love them. I'm sure that I have a few blue hills but the clump in the photo could be a mix of different named varieties.

Sisyrinchium is a lovely plant, will have to keep an eye out for some to put in my mostly native wildflower garden.
Alex

applestar
Mod

How about Amsonia tabernaemontana? Bought this one last year so this is the first time to see it in flower:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image4250.jpg[/img]
I have it growing next to an yellow Baptista. Great contrast. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nice call AS; a great blue, but I think this one is even more notable for fall color; goes yellow in the foliage with just a hint of cold and holds it a while. I know we don't think of perennials as fall foliage plants much, but this is the one to change your mind about that. But yes, a true blue native...

HG
Scott Reil

pointcook phil

Salvias

Absolutely love salvias. have about 30 varieties so far. they are easy to propagate by cuttings.
Do anything and everything to minimise your carbon footrint

Return to “Perennials”