GRDrip

Daisy question

First question:

What is the difference between a shasta daisy and an oxeye daisy?

Second question:

What is the difference between this :evil: and my mother-in-law?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have no clue about your MIL, but assuming your question about daisies was serious, I found this information:

From https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/oxeye_daisy.htm

This is a classic example of a daisy. There are many white daisies that have been introduced from Eurasia as ornamental and herbal plants, although the Ox-Eye Daisy has larger flowerheads (more than 1¼" across). The various cultivars of Leucanthemum x superbum (Shasta Daisy) can closely resemble Ox-Eye Daisy in general appearance. The Shasta Daisy was developed by Luther Burbank from Eurasian species. Its flowerheads tend to be larger than those of the Oxeye Daisy (more than 2" across) and its leaves are less likely to be pinnatifid. In the Shasta Daisy, there is a brown membranous margin toward the apex of each floral bract, while the floral bracts of the Ox-Eye Daisy are brown along the entire length of their margins. Another scientific name for the Ox-Eye Daisy is Chrysanthemum leucanthemum.

GRDrip

So as far as native palnts go, I need not really worry whether or not it is a shasta or an oxeye?

Rick

P.S. You can't see the horns on my MIL!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sorry to be so late responding. I didn't see your post until today. If you want to restrict your plants to natives only, then I would suggest that you avoid both the Shasta daisy and the oxeye daisy. Neither is native to North America, and in some areas the oxeye is considered to be an invasive pest. The Shasta daisy was developed from the oxeye daisy, so it isn't a native plant either.

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting your MIL, so I wouldn't know whether or not her horns can be seen. Hmmm ... I'll have to check my own in the mirror! Wouldn't want them to show when my DIL comes to visit this summer! :wink: :lol:

Return to “Perennials”