moosetracker

I think I killed my globe thistle

I liked that plant too. but everything had to be lifted out of the bed. This immediatly wilted and looks sickly. I looked it up and read it's a plant that does not like to be disturbed.
Anyone have any nursing hints, besides the definate water, water, water?

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

There is a Vitamin B to use when transplanting mature/established plants from one place to the other to avoid shocking the plant. I've used it and never had any adverse effects but I have no idea if there what the scientific explaination is for it. :roll:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've read pros and cons on whether or not vitamin B-1 helps plants resist transplant shock. When I (finally) finished my previous container of B-1, I did not buy another.

What I like to do when transplanting a good-sized plant (potting up, moving from pot to ground or raised bed, etc.) is to prepare the planting hole or larger pot with my 50/50 potting soil/compost mix, then water the plant in with a very dilute (1/4 strength or less) solution of liquid kelp, followed by a little more planting mix patted into a slight mound, so that compaction won't create a "well" near the stem of the plant.

I can't say I've had 100% successful results, but I've definitely had over 75% success, perhaps 80%, over many years. Recently (from March 2008 to now), it's been more like 90%.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

moosetracker

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I could have used this tecnic for the whole bed (which was huge & took over 40 hours to do). But, It will be great to try if I need to move these tempermental plants again.

I think I will hold off buying this plant again until I know that the invasive weed is totally gone just incase I need to lift the entire garden again. But, when I feel the garden is clean, I definatly will want to try this plant again.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Like most thistles it tends to be tap-rooed and those are usually not great transplants...

HG

Return to “Perennials”