itsmekimmie
Newly Registered

clorfull perennials... handle extreme heat and full shade

Hello, my house sits north/south...that is my front yard faces north, so the sun comes over the east part of my front landscaping and in the summer it can get extreme heat, probably for about 4 hours, then medium heat and as the sun goes over, practically full shade. I live in North Texas. It's hard to find beautiful perennials that can handle the two extremes...I don't want to plant two different plants on either side of my house :( ...any suggestions ... In the winter I plant panseys, they last until about March or april. I'm so tired of petunias....Help! I see these houses with beautiful mounding impations, but for the extreme sun I can't do that!

Please excuse the poor spelling! :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What you are looking for is tough hardy adaptable plants which can tolerate a range of conditions. Here's some suggestions, mostly North American natives (not necessarily native to your area) and drought tolerant:

Achillea (yarrow), baptisia (false indigo), shasta daisies, sundrops (aka missouri primrose, evening primrose), black eyed susan (and other rudbeckias), salvias, lamb's ears, stokesia, verbena. Some of these are listed as needing full sun (salvia, lamb's ears, verbena), but I have them in my garden in less than full sun and they are doing fine... Like I said, adaptable.

Look them up to see pictures.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Kimmie

Can you give me the times on that progression? When is it sunny? When does it get shady? That would help...

HG

Return to “Perennials”