SarahR
Newly Registered

Over the top grass killer?

I picked up some of this at a local nursery yesterday to help get rid of the grass in my flowerbeds. Most of the plants I have are not listed on the bottle. Can anyone tell me if they have used it, and what results you had? Some of the plants I have not on the list are coneflowers, coral bells, pinks, and veronica.

Sarah

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Since I had never heard of 'over the top grass killer', I googled it to see the ingredients - unfamiliar with those as well.

Sometimes, I use round up; but more often than not, pull by hand. More and more I'm moving toward using natural or organic methods of pest and weed extraction. 8) I've read here on the forum that alot of folks use 'vinegar'; not sure exactly what type or ratio to water, etc.

Hopefully, someone with some other suggestions will answer your post. :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Horticultural vinegar = 20% by volume acetic acid
Culinary vinegar = 3 to 5% by volume acetic acid

Hort. vinegar may also have surfactants added to it to aid in "sticking" to the leaves/blades/bracts where it's applied.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

A quick "drive-by" search re. "Over the Top" grass killer reveals that

1) Active Ingredients = 1.7% of total volume. Based on chemical nomenclature protocols, the active ingredients are petroleum distillates/aromatics/alcohols/other derivatives.

2) therefore, its Inert Ingredients = 98.3% of total volume. After the debacle here in northern California last year, where the population *finally* succeeded in having an aerial spray campaign (over cities and residential areas) stopped in its tracks, I--with my fellow residents of the S.F. Bay Area, down to Monterey and points further south--am extremely leery of non-listed "inert" ingredients.

W/regard to the 2008 "Stop the Spray" campaign, several of the so-called "inert" ingredients were orders of magnitude (10x, 100x, 1000x, etc.) more toxic than the named active ingredient. "Trade secrets" was the excuse the supplier (and there was only one...) of the pesticide hid behind to not reveal those ingredients. But, eventually, the names of the "inert" chemicals were revealed. :shock: A legal injunction followed shortly thereafter.

I think skepticism about such high percentages of "inert" ingredients (and, just in the past two days on this board, we've discussed products with 98.3% "inert" and 99.0% "inert" stuff) would be well advised.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Perennials”