reuscam
Newly Registered

Best way to treat rust on a rhododendron?

I have a rhododendron that has been doing very well for its first year in my back yard. In the past week or two, the leaves have gone from a dark waxy green, to a mottled, dark green / light green / light tan. My mom says it might be rust.

1) Does it sound like rust? I will try to provide a picture

2) How should I treat it?

Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Rust is a fungus, so you'll need to remove the damaged leaves, clean up any from the ground around the plant, and then spray the plant with a fungicide of some type. I haven't had to deal with rust on my rhodies, so that's all the information I have. Sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

GRDrip

Hello,
I'm no expert but I have rhododendrens and have had for several years. It is pretty normal for mine (and the others I see) to lose leaves this time of year. I've always attributed it to winter burn - the sun baking the leaves when it is cold during the winter. The plant is just shedding damaged leaves. The plants I've seen have always just grown new leaves and look no worse for the wear.

Also, rhodo's may shed leaves once a year: I don't know. Even conifers lose their needles after the second year.

Once it blooms and the new growth comes on I bet it will look just fine - until next spring.

patricia hilbert

Hi

Having the same problem...consulted my books ...one said selective pruning, the other severe. Also deadhead when blooms are spent for better blooms next year. Book suggested insecticide containg acephate applied to foliage, and parasitic nematodes to soil. Mix with water re-apply every 3-6 wks. Another suggestion was malathion spray. I HAVE NOT tried any of this yet. Just read it. I'm going to start with prunning. What does everyone else think?

Patricia

Green Creek
Newly Registered

I can't see how Malathion spray will help if you are dealing with a fungus.
It's been a cold wet spring here and now hot and humid so I am amazed that we aren't overrun with fungus of one kind or another.

Sarah

Return to “Perennials”