moosetracker

daylily with a different root stucture??

I have many daylilies and are use to dividing them. Normally they have those multiple small bulb clusters with little hair like roots. But yesterday I was planting and I just wanted to move a small daylily over for the new plant. I dug under and found not the bulbs. but that it had no roots system at all, but instead sort of like an embilical cord, or like the attachement of a baby spider plant, to it's parent, only underground..

Luckily I could move it without severing the connection, because without the root system. I fear detaching it..

Anyone see these before? how do you divide? I thought baby spiders had to be kept in water to root, or something. But not just dug up and stuck back in the ground elsewhere. Would I have to treat m

Anyone know how to deal with this different root system? This just freaked me out! Glad I wasn't set to divide it yet.

valleytreeman

That is an underground rhizome. It is a vegetative reproduction method. It probably judst developed this spring. Thew young plantlet will develope its own root system and become independent and "dividable" as the season progresses. In a mont or so you should be able to sever the connecting rhizome and move the young plant.

Yes it is like the spider plant only underground. Some times you might see little plantlets develope on the scapes (flower stems) these can be rooted in a moist medium and replanted also.

Return to “Perennials”