The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Your still ahead of me, but mine should be in soon...

HG

sherdev

Kisal, I have some daylilies that I can divide to experiment with so I'll see how that goes. I'll relocate some hostas and I'll see if I can find some ferns in the local nurseries. But I absolutely am not going to eat them! Not even with gobs of butter which is my favourite sidedish ;)

GardenRetreat
Newly Registered

I have been away from awhile and just read through all the postings... it seems like you are only going to be doing hostas and day lilies??..

I still do not understand why you cannot grow astibles.. they thrive in shade and some sunshine.. I have them in both places in my garden. as long as they get enough water.

I think you should try any plants that say partial shade that is what I did in the part of my garden that just gets that late afternoon sun..

You never now till you try

applestar
Mod

You never now till you try
Same goes for eating them. Ostrich Fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) shoots are tasty -- somewhat reminiscent of asparagus and green beans. It's the other ones like Cinnamon Fern (hairy and no midline groove) that gives ferns a bad rep.

sherdev

Ok, I will try hosta, daylily and astilbe. All things I have already in other areas so I can transplant these. It will be an endurance test to see who is still standing by the end of summer. I won't try heuchera because I've found they lean towards the sun and make me feel sorry for them.

applestar
Mod

:lol: I started reading your reply and thought you were talking about EATING them! :lol:
Actually Daylily flower petals make colorful and tasty addition to salads. They were a great hit with the kids in a "Wildflower Salad" I took to a play date. Someone else was supposed to bring the lettuce, but she didn't, so it ended up being a big bowl of edible flowers and "weeds"! The kids particularly liked daililies and purslane -- one mom told me her daughter NEVER eats salads, and there she was, munching away! :cool: But don't worry, I don't make anybody (including my kids) eat anything they don't want to. :wink:

Return to “Perennials”