plkelly

any solution besides starting over?

Long story short, I have a big berm that is planted with several different ground covers, grasses and a rock area. Soil was brought in last year to create the berm and it's a pretty big area, so a lot of time and money was spent on it. It's in full sun.

Soon after it was planted, a couple different types of clover began coming up like crazy in it. I guess the soil we bought must have been loaded with seeds. I battled these all summer, hand pulling and digging to get the roots. Now this spring it is just crowded with clover--you can barely even see the ground cover in spots.

I can't think of anything that would get rid of the clover, while not harming the ground covers--mainly several different types of sedum and liriope. An older gardener here told me to try adding nitrogen, since the clover won't like it and die out. Has anyone else heard this, or have any other suggestions short of just digging the whole bed out and starting over?
Patsy

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I did a quick google, and this site recommends exactly what you suggest. Here are the details.

https://www.allaboutlawns.com/lawn-weeds-pests/killing-off-clover.php

plkelly

Thanks so much, Alex! I have been all over the internet and didn't find this site.

I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Patsy

Return to “Perennials”