The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Kniphofia

In answer to Phil's question elsewhere...
I planted 3 Kniphofia i took form mates plant...the leaf is slightly serated...does anyone know wht type of Red Hot Poker this could be? has red flower.
My experience has been that they are usually mildly serrate but it can vary. Stephen Still lists the leaf of "kniphophia hybrids" as "strongly keeled; margins often rough". Alan Armitage (one of my heroes) denotes some 60-70 species, but sticks to K. uvaria hybrids, which he opines is the dominant species in cultivation (that has been my experience as well), but he makes no mention of leaf spines...He does list 31 cultivars ranging from near white 'Ice Queen' and 'Maid of Orleans' to the blazing red 'Alcazar' and coral red 'Corallina'. Lots of breeding makes your specific I.D. harder yet...

My best bet for a definitive answer seems to be this website for Fernkloof Nature Reserve in South Africa (as most kniphofias are native there). They call it "margins smooth or sparsely serrate" Hardly definitive, but Nature seldom is... :?

[url]https://fernkloof.com/species.mv?686[/url]

SO...my bet is a red hybrid of K. uvaria...

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Reil

pointcook phil

Thanks

Thanks heaps for this detail. I ll send a photo once it flowers.

Love these drought proof plants.

I saw a honey sucking bird working a flower of one the other day at the nursery.

Cheers,
Do anything and everything to minimise your carbon footrint

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Exactly the kind of flower they love; reddish, tubular and downward facing...

In our country there is a vine called trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans) that covers itself with red tubular flowers they love. Trouble is that if you don't grow it somewhere you can mow around it, it climbs it and covers it. Even as a native it is a little agressive for most garden use as it can come from seed pretty quickly as well as sucker. But the hummers love it...
I gave Mom a Fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' a few years back, she has kept it potted and brings it in for the winter; it does well and the hummers just go nutty for it...

HG
Scott Reil

Return to “Perennials”