hollywillson
Newly Registered

Moving Peonies

I live in Illinois and I am moving. I have peonies I would like to divide and move.The closing however, has been put off several times so I was not in a rush to move them. Now closing is the beginning of December.Can peonies be transplanted in pots and replanted in the Spring? My other option is moving them to a neighbors yard for the Winter. I realize I am late to divide at this point but these plants have sentimental value. Any tips?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Holly! Welome to the Forum! I know what you mean - I have moved many a plant for scentimental reasons!

Yes, you can dig your peonies up and put them in pots, as long as the ground isn't so frozen that you can't get the shovel in! :lol:

I am guessing that they have died back by now, so we are just talking about the underground tubers? (If this is not so, let me know, and I will go into what to do).
If this is so, dig them up, put them in pots, and where ever you move to, dig them into the ground right away, pot and all. You can worry about where to place them in the spring. Once you have them dug up, DO NOT let them freeze! You will have lost them if you let them freeze between digging them up and putting them back where you move to. :cry:

Another option you have is to dig them up, put them in pots, and keep them in a very cool place (just above freezing) for the winter, and then planting them in the spring. If you do this, do not let the pots get bone dry, but only give them a very small amount of water once in a while, just to keep the tubers from drying out.
As far as digging them up, and how to do this, there are already a couple of threads regarding this in the General Topic Forum that you could read. They are called "Another Peony Transplant Quest" and "Transplanting Peonies".

Best of luck with this, and feel free to come back with any more questions you may have! :wink:

Val

hollywillson
Newly Registered

Thank-you so much for your prompt reply. The ground is not frozen here yet. 2 days ago it was in the 70's. I will dig them a.s.a.p.
Holly

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Excellent info Val...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Great Holly! Good Luck with your move - both you and your peonies! Feel free to come back anytime - that's what we are here for! :wink:

Scott - Thanks for the kind words.....

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

8)

Scott

Return to “Perennials”