dionaelover

Carnivorous plant questions answered!

I've noticed that there is a lot of confusion about the growth and propagation of carnivorous plants, and I'd like to clear it all up, if possible. Simply post a question and I will do my best to provide a factually accurate answer, offering my advice if you wish. I can't testify to the validity of any advanced growing techniques, as I don't feel that I have the experience. I also can't help with any terrarium setups from experience, but I will answer as to what I've heard works very well. Other that that, ask away. If any other growers are out there who have the answer before me, feel free to post your reply, by all means! I hope I can be of some help! :wink:
~Corey

Toil
Greener Thumb

resurrection...

I grow the following, have only divided, never started from seed:

Drosera:

adelae
binata
digitalis (giant)
spatulata (var. lovelae)

Everything is in dormancy now, except the adelae.

My spatulata has had these filaments all over (I think PM) since I got it almost a year ago. looks horrible, and I can't shake it with neem oil or physan.

One more question. Would potassium silicate as an emulsifier for neem oil damage the plant?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

What's the easiest carnivorous plant to grow? And is a terrarium the best way, so you can use live insects? We ad one in school ages ago and I think I remember using drops of cow blood to feed the plant

Toil
Greener Thumb

I'd say the easiest is Drosera Adelae.

No need to give them bugs, they catch their own. If you are concerned you can always put a light next to them after dark.

I suggest not using a terrarium. Way too hard to keep them healthy and free of disease.

I'm posting a new thread here and in the container forum, to find out if anyone else is growing them. I have a sick D. spatulata.

Return to “Perennials”