lezlebontemproule
Newly Registered

clematis

Hi. I'm very new to gardening. I've always wanted the space for a garden but never had it until Katrina took our home and we bought a house in the country.

So please bear with me if I have a lot of questions. I have bought books and am waiting for them to come in, but I'm an instant gratification person.

Ok, so when it says sun/partial shade, is it ok to plant it where it gets shad part of the day and sun the other part.

I planted to clematis today, but I'm not sure how well they will do since they will get direct afternoon sun. Should I try to move them to a more shaded area (I'm very limited with shaded areas). I love clematis, so I hope it will work.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The number of hours of shade and hours of sun could make a difference. If the vine isn't getting direct sun in the hottest part of the afternoon, it should be okay. My clematis is on the west side of my house, but it is shaded by the overhang from my porch roof. The sun doesn't hit it directly until about 2 or 2:30 p.m., and by 4:30 or 5:00, it is shaded by one of the street trees. :)

lezlebontemproule
Newly Registered

I just read on the internet a saying for clematis "sun on the head, but not on the feet". Since mine will be getting direct sun in the summer afternoon, it recommended planting a small shrub in front of it to save the roots from the heat.

Does this sound right?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

A general rule that I've often heard regarding clematis is that [they like their head in the sun and their feet in the shade.] So you may want to provide fairly deep mulch, or block the sun from the roots by a low growing shrub or a good sized container plant. Also, depending upon the plant's location, you may have a problem with the light/heat that gets reflected off of the house in the hot afternoon. If the direct sun is early afternoon and it gets filtered light in the hot late afternoon period, the plant will likely do fine.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

lezlebontemproule
Newly Registered

that's the problem. They will get direct sunlight in the heat of the afternoon. I will try covering the roots and see if they'll make it.

Thank you for your responses.

DonnaJ
Newly Registered

Clematis

I planted iris in front of my clematis and they shade the root area just fine. Mine is planted on the southeast corner of the house so it's not out in the open although it gets a lot of sun. I also fertilize it regularly so the blooms are plentiful.

Stacey B
Newly Registered

I have two that grow on the North West side of my house. They are shaded until around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I don't have anything in front of them to shade their roots. They grow just fine. Granted, as the season grows, so do they. They create their own shade for their roots. So, buy the time summer is in full swing, they have created their own shade.

I guess it depends on how hot your summers are. If they are hot, mulch them. That should help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

clematis

In general, clematis prefer morning sun and afternoon shade. But like most plants they do have some range of adaptability. With the afternoon sun, you will just need to be more careful re mulching and watering.

Return to “Perennials”