alison18671
Newly Registered

any tips on growing pampas grass

Hello
I have grown plenty of plants successfully, but never tried pampas grass...I have just bought some seeds to grow pink pampas grass....unsure how easy it will be or if they need any special care..

Any tips would be great.

thanks
Alison :D

pd

Not a difficult one Alison and I wouldn't say they needed any special care or treatment. Sow in standard seed compost, loam or loamless and cover thinly. Preferably with a layer of perlite or vermiculite. Place in a temperature of 65F (18C).
I'm not sure if this applies to all varieties and cultivars but the species I once had, and discarded, was armed with sharp backward pointing teeth. Not plant to have where children are around.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

They can be a bear to prune back in the spring while wearing long sleeves.

ZoSoDragon
Newly Registered

Pampas grass can be really pretty if you keep up on the maintenence...a lot of people plant it in my area. My husband has lived here for about 25 years longer than I have though, and he said it can be a pain to maintain.

Our neighbours have two large pampas grass 'clumps', and after a strong wind (not even a hurricane mind you lol) they get very very ratty, and strewn all over the lawn.

But like I said, I really like the look of them when they're taken care of :D

DankyDoo

a good way to cut this stuff back is to
put a rope around it then tie it up and
cut it saves alot of getting poked and cut

Venomous_1
Cool Member

Does it shed that much??? I was thinking about planting some in my backyard near the pool. Love that look...reminds me of the 'sea wheat' that grows on the dunes back home. But now you've got me rethinking this. I have an above ground and was planning on putting the pampas grass about 10 feet away and below the pool. Do you think it would shed too much debri into the pool?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Pampas grass is an invasive, noxious weed in the State of California. Please check with your own state / country authorities (on the Web...) before planting this stuff.

Yes, even if it's illegal to plant, some vendors will still offer pampas grass for sale. :x

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/ipc/encycloweedia/encycloweedia_hp.htm is the list for California.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Perennials”