Sharon Marie

Japanese Andromeda

Does anyone here know about this plant? We bought two of these around August last summer. We planted them, and all seemed well. As the winter came, it seemed as if one of them has died. The plant has no color and looks brown. I loved how they looked and I'm wondering if they do this every winter? Thanks in advance. I've not been able to find much on this on the internet so I am new here and thought this would be a good question.

pd

I'm thinking what you have is Pieris japonica (Andromeda japonica)

It is an evergreen shrub and hardy here in the UK. Produces lily-of-the-valley like flowers in March and April. It is certainly not a good sign if it has browned - although, when young the leaves have a coppery colour.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

They would normally be hardy in your zone so possibly a combination of wind and sun burned them. They can be tempermental. And yes you have one that's hardy but its in the genes of the plant. Sorry. If the nursery guaranteed the plants take it back in the spring and ask for a replacement.

andrea922

I know it's been a while since you posted your question, but I haven't been on here in a long time!!

At my previous home, my andromeda had turned brown after a particularly harsh winter. Someone told me to cut it back drastically, so I tried it. I pretty much cut all of the brown leaves off and just left some short branches.

It came back beautifully! It will look ugly and bare for a while, but it definitely bounced back and was healthy for the remaining 4 years I lived there. I hope it works out for you too!

Andrea :)

Sharon Marie

This year only one of the plants came back. It is doing very well. :) Thank you for the advise though. I hope that this winter will be kind to it :)

Return to “Perennials”