ipesta
Newly Registered

Need a full shade Ground Cover Zone 4

I live in central Iowa - we are doing the front yard this spring, nothing grows except ferns and hostas and the like due to very dense shade. Very large trees in our neighborhood and tall houses. Altho the yard is on the west side it gets little to no sun. The tree is quite dense also so it can get dry as well. I will be putting in some rock and pavers and a dry stream bed, but am looking for something to put in as ground cover to minimize the need for rock and mulch. Plants are always preferable over rock and mulch - Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

pd

One suggestion dizee is Pachysandra terminalis and its variegated form.

ipesta
Newly Registered

thanks I will check it out

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

One groundcover I would suggest is periwinkle, vinc minor it grows native in Zone 6 and it has blue flowers early so you know spring is just around the corner.

applestar
Mod

One native (in NJ area) ground cover that I'm trying -- planted some last fall -- is Green and Gold (Chrysogonum virginianum) which is supposed to be drought tolerant. I planted them under a willow oak tree.

Vica minor is NOT native to U.S.
Vinca minor (Lesser Periwinkle) is a plant native to central and southern Europe, from Portugal and France north to the Netherlands and the Baltic States, and east to the Caucasus, and also in southwestern Asia in Turkey
It is hardy and easy to grow, but it also can TAKE OVER. Sorry, but I would not recommend it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

please no periwinkle/vinca. It is also known as forest killer and flower of death. It takes over and totally chokes out every other form of life (probably including small children if they were to fall asleep! :) Other things to consider: bergenia, which keeps its foliage all year round, ajuga (carpet bugle) which comes in many different varieties of colored foliage, wild ginger. Wild ginger is not culinary ginger but is a native species, makes a very full and pretty ground cover, spreads nicely into colonies, without being invasive. However, it's only rated to zone 5, so might not make it in your area (but might with lots of winter protection). Sweet woodruff is good for dry shade under trees, and the dried foliage is aromatic. Some people have said it's invasive, but I haven't found it so. Bunchberry is a native creeping dogwood, with beautiful dogwood flowers. A bit hard to get established, but gorgeous if you do. Wintergreen is a native, with nice berries, used for teas. Similarly slow to establish. Lamium (dead nettle, where the dead just means it doesn't sting like stinging nettle) and pulmonaria (lungwort) are also very nice ground covers and easier to get established. Both of them come in varieties with mostly white foliage, which is very pretty in shade. All of these except the ginger are rated hardy at least to zone 4. Enjoy!

marmar
Newly Registered

Lily of the valley maybe. Is your soil really dry?

marmar
Newly Registered

You said hostas and ferns grow so why not a veriety of those. Ferns can be quite beautiful. Other flowers to try are Lilly of the valley,beacon silver lamium,blushing bride tradescania all of these grow in shade and spread. Japanese painted ferns are beautiful with purple and green leaves.You could also try ivy to grow up your trees and around the base

ipesta
Newly Registered

I will be moving many more ferns and hostas out front, I'm just looking for other colors and some ground covers to put in between flagstone and along the dry stream bed. The soil can get dry, but I water it too, you all have given me tons of ideas, Thanks.

plkelly

Lamium does great for me under trees and in other dry shady conditions. I know some people think it's too aggressive, but I've never had a problem with it, or vinca for that matter.
Of course, I sort of like a natural look and appreciate my plants that 'walk' around the garden. I just pull it out if it comes up where I don't want it.
Patsy

pd

Patsy - I totally agree.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sweet woodruff does well in dry shade under trees. It has a delicate look and the foliage is aromatic when dried (but not while green, interesting). Pulmonaria comes in a variety of variegated leaves. Chameleon plant has lots of colorful foliage. Bunchberry (creeping dogwood) would be absolutely gorgeous. I've had trouble getting it established, but I know that's because it likes acid soil and mine is the opposite. Even with amendments, it just doesn't like it. But if yours is acidic, definitely try it!

Return to “Perennials”