Chad-K

Passion Flower Seeds, help

I have always wanted to grow the Passion Flower and a friend of my moms just gave us some seeds. We have no idea what to do. How do you plant Passion Flower seeds? I live in the Ohio Valley of West Virginia and its already getting very cold outside. Should I start the seeds indoors now, what do I need to do so that I can grow some Passion Flowers? Also, I have one green ball thing and once it dries I can split it open and get more seeds. How can I tell when it is dry enough?

I know nothing about the Passion Flower, except that it is beautiful!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Chad! I know a little bit about passion flowers, so I will pass on what I know.
"Passiflora Incarnata" is hardy in Zones 5-9. The vines can grow anywhere from 15 to 30 feet, so will need support (fence, trellis) to grow. If winters are cold, the top growth will be killed back, but will return to growth in the spring.

They like partial to full sun, rich, well-drained soil, kept evenly moist. They will love you if you give them a regular mulching of compost!
Also, when planted, adding compost to the hole will be of great benefit.

The "green ball thing" you have is the fruit of the plant. You do not have to wait for it to dry. You can open it now, and lay the seeds out to dry on their own.

When you are wanting to plant the seeds, they need to be soaked for 12 hours in warm water, and then planted indoors. They have an extremely long germination period - many months, up to a year, so you will need to be patient. Don't let them dry out during this time, but also don't let them got over wet.

That's about all I can pass on about this beautiful plant. Hope it helps, and best of luck - remember - patience! :wink:
VAL

Chad-K

eeeeww... I just cracked the fruit open and the seeds are all slimy! I have them on a paper towel to dry.

Thank you for the help!

I hope I can get some to grow, I have patience, but thats a long time for germination, but well worth the wait, I hope I can remember to keep them moist. Do I keep them in the light or dark?

The little black things in the slimy "eggs" must be the seeds. Do I need to remove the slimy "egg" shell or just let it dry and then collect the seeds?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Oh, but they're so much more fun when they're slimy!! :lol:
I would wash the seeds off, and then put them out to dry. I don't think you need to be to fussy about taking the slimy shell off, as it will just dry up.
Once you have planted the seed, they need to be placed in a light spot, but not full sun.
Maybe try singing them a little song - that might speed them up! :roll:
Good Luck, and as before, feel free to come back to the forum anytime! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sometimes that slimy shell can actually inhibit the seeds growth (Natures way of preserviong seed stocks over longer periods) and Passiflora is one of those plants. Multiple soakings might help some, but better yet is to put them in a bag of fine sand and give them a good rub (known as scarifying the seed). Pick the seed out and put it in soil and let it sit; probably a long time. I am adding a link to a site with more experience than I have with this plant; best of luck with a challenging project...

[url]https://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/pas.incar.htm[/url]

Scott

Chad-K

Thank you so much for the tips and link!

This will be a fun little project for me to do. :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Have fun and let us know how you do! :wink:
VAL

Return to “Perennials”