thebean

Passiflora Pfordi / Passion Flower

I have accquired a Passion Flower Passiflora Pfordi this summer from an on-line source. it arrived about 3" tall and bare. After replanting, it has grow to about four feet. The problem is it is inside and it's the beginning of winter. Do I need to cut it back or let it continue to grow right through winter and put it outside in the spring. I am in western NY. I have also read that parts of this plant are posionous and parts are used medicinaly. Which are which ?

This is my first post on this site.
Thanks in advance

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

They are only hardy to Zone 6 and with some varieties their berries are edible. Do a Google.

thebean

I was hopeing to find something more then a google search I wouldnt be here if I hadnt done that already. anyone with some real experience ????

superfleurs

I was very curious about your enquiry as I had never heard that passion flower could be poisonous. I have an herb book that doesn't mention that at all. Passionflower extract, derived from the flowers and fruiting tops, has a slightly narcotic effect. It was used as a tranquilizer. Having said that I also found this very informative site:
https://www.passionflow.co.uk/passion-flower-passiflora-toxicity.htm

Which concludes
***So, the general rule is: Don't Eat green , Immature, or Developing Fruits, especially raw! When ripe, the pulp of all species is probably OK.
I'm sure that you can keep this plant indoors and trim it back, if you like, as they are very fast growers, and then plant outside in the Spring.

thebean

very interesting find. Thanks for the info. As to keeping it inside, will it ever flower inside? I would like to keep it potted and put it out side in the spring. Should I cut it down in the spring before putting it out or just let it go? bein gin the climate I'm in I will bring it in again in the winter is there any other care that needs to be taken when bringing it in and out like I mention ?

This was my first post on this site and to be told to google somthing when asking a fourm question wasn't a great start for me. Apologies to any offended.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

thebean, I'm pretty sure that the member who recommended the "Google" search has experienced new gardeners asking very basic questions without doing any basic research on their own.

Given that you *have* done that basic research, I would suggest that, if you have a similar question in the future, you say something like this:

"I'd really like to grow Exotic Plant at my home in Cold Northern State. Although everything I've found on the Internet states that Exotic Plant is only hardy to Zone 8, I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually succeeded in [here make your choice: growing? blooming? fruiting?] Exotic Plant in colder zones."

As you read through the site, you'll find examples of the "lack of basic research" question that was referred to.

Good luck with your Passion Flower quest!

Happy gardening.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Perennials”