msoule12
Newly Registered

Hybiscus in the winter?

We live in SC, it does get cold here and we get ice rain frequently in Jan-Feb. This past spring we purchased a medium size Hybiscus, have it placed in the yard in a large pot. The plant has grown to more than 6 feet tall and 5 feet in diameter. Our question is what in the world to do with this beauty this winter? I am leaning toward placing it in the garage (unheated) where it will be out of the weather but still exposed to the cold. The tag that came with the plant does not state if it is winter hardy or not.

Quietly Awesome
Cool Member

What DOES the tag say? Does it give a specific name? One that you can google to find out? Or post here? :D Can you post a pic of it? A pic will help tell if it's a tropical or not. If it's that big, though, I'm guessing that it is, and that it will have to go inside where it is warm.

msoule12
Newly Registered

Thanks for your response. The tag says, Full Sun, Lots of water and good drainage to prevent root rot. There are more words but are now illegable. I think this baby is headed for the garage. I tried to take a picture but there is something I am doing wrong can't get the picture to attach to message.

Quietly Awesome
Cool Member

Are the leaves kinda waxy looking?

msoule12
Newly Registered

No, they are a little shiny but not waxy looking.

kasimac

Well, most Hardy Hybiscus wont reach a height of 6 ft. you most likely have the non hardy variety, which is a tropical plant and cannot be exposed to cold weather for long periods of time without significant damage. This will kill the entire plant, roots and all.

Hardy hybiscus die back in the winter, their roots survive which then send up new shoots in the spring, so hardy hybiscus will also take damage from the cold, but they come back. You can cut back hardy hybiscus in the fall to 2 or 3 inches from the ground, then cover it with mulch to help protect the roots.

So even if your plant is hardy, or tropical, cold weather will affect it in some way. Best thing you can do if your unsure of what it is, is keep the plant inside your home in a warm, sunny location.

Here are some pictures of both Hardy, and tropical Hybiscus

Hardy:
[img]https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/hortupdate/jul04/HibLadyB.jpg[/img]

Tropical:notice the waxy leaves
[img]https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1427/575741898_d9a3453132.jpg?v=0[/img]

Return to “Perennials”