Regina
Newly Registered

Spider Lily - Hymenocallis caribaea, When to split bulbs?

I have White Spider Lily plants that have gotten very large and I would like to devide the bulbs and replant them somewhere else in my back yard. When is the best time of the tear to devide them and replant them?

I have them in a sunny location now.
Will they do well planted in a shady or partially shady spot?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Regina :D and welcome to the forum.

How wonderful to have so much of this beautiful plant to be able to divide it.
The best time is when dormant, like most bulbs. Nothing special, just lift and seperate the offsets from the parents and replant. The variety you have actually prefers some shade.
Found this wonderful site a while ago on Hymenocallis. I never realised there were so many varieties. Most not hardy enough for here but all stunning. Lots of information there for you.
Hope this helps. :D

https://www.rhs.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/2F89268D-9036-4F75-BB35-5D806D2E985D/0/Hymenocallis.pdf

helenheven
Newly Registered

Hello! This is my first time so bear with me....

I happened upon several dormant bulbs while digging in my old Hollywood home's garden and decided to try to plant them. I'm not a gardener and wasn't expecting much, but they grew and GREW and then BURST into bloom. It was one of the most thrilling events of my life!
With a little research, I figured out they are hymenocallis caribaea.

They are in full bloom right now and I want to take some cuttings and make more! Is it possible? Can you guide a fumbling amateur?

These must have been planted by the original owner who built in 1923! I have lived here since 1990 and had no idea they were here.

Please help if you can and thanks for this great site! Jane

Return to “Perennials”