Val Maker
Newly Registered

HELP!! bulb questions

When my husband and I moved into our home, which was his grandparents, it had been vacant for a couple of years, and the grass took over the gardens. Very slowly, as I have been working full time, I have been trying to clean them up. As I have been working in the worst one, I have found bulbs which have not bloomed since I have lived here (2 Years). They look nice and healthy with small roots on them. Can I simply replant them and hope for flowers in the spring, or do I bring them inside for the winter and plant them in the spring? :? I'm not sure what kind of bulb they are, but they were very plentiful.

dinker

Hello :D
Flower bulbs multiply each year and if they get compacted over the years they will stop blooming. Its good to divide them every few years you leave some and you move some to another flower bed
I wouldnt take them in the house fall is the best time to plant bulbs.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If you want to post a picture, someone might be able to identify the type of bulb for you.

I leave my bulbs in the ground year round, but we have very mild winters here. I remember my grandmother used to dig up all her bulbs and store them in the basement over the winter. The specific type of bulb might make a difference in whether digging them up in the fall was necessary or not.

Val Maker
Newly Registered

Thank yo so much. :D I have them in the house tonight, but I will go plant them tomorrow afternoon. My mother in law told me that I should add s ome bone meal to them whenever I do plant them.

Toms92gp

Val Maker wrote:Thank yo so much. :D I have them in the house tonight, but I will go plant them tomorrow afternoon. My mother in law told me that I should add s ome bone meal to them whenever I do plant them.
I did that with my tulips and it seemed to work great.

Return to “Perennials”