mk47
Newly Registered

Help Identify Groundcovers

Please help me identify these two groundcovers, we bought the house 8 months ago and both are all over. Delibrately planted it seems, under bushes and in hard to grow places. The large is about 6" tall w/ multiple stems from base. Very very aggressive - has gone under cement sidewalk into grass. The smaller is more polite with a tiny purple flower. About 4" tall and matt-like - maybe thyme? I looked at 100's of pictures and can't find either. Thanks you. Follow link to pix:

https://photobucket.com/mk47

NewjerseyTea

The photos were too small to see clearly but I'd guess the larger leaf is from the common violet and the smaller plant with the purple flowers are ground ivy also called creeping charlie (glechoma hederacea).

If you check and find I was accurate I would be inclined to leave patches of the violets because some butterflies use them as host plants (fritillaries I believe?). I have both of these plants and I weed out the violets from areas I don't want and confine them to the edges of the garden between the flower beds and the walkway.

The ground ivy on the other hand I rip out whenever I see it and will probably never be able to totally remove it.

mk47
Newly Registered

Does the common violet have a flower because this one hasn't yet, we've seen spring, summer and are entering fall. The small one is definately planted - boy I hope the old owner didn't actually plant it there. The smaller hasn't spread like the other. Here in WI we call something else creeping charlie. I'll make the photos bigger in photobucket. Thanks.

mk47
Newly Registered

Small is not creeping charlie but catnip. Cat tested and CAT approved.

Jess
Greener Thumb

I think violet too. The reason it may not have flowered is it looks rather sick. The leaves should be dark green and stand up. Are they in full sun? Violets like a moist but free draining soil in some shade.
Knowing without doing is like plowing without sowing."

biwa

The short plant with the spade-shaped leaves is a wild violet. It is the larva food for most species of fritillary butterflies, so please let it grow. The other plant is a mint species, though I doubt it is catnip because most catnip has white flowers, not purple ones.

Be careful with the mint. It is weedy and difficult to get rid of.

Solveig
Cool Member

The mint looks like catmint, it could be Nepeta × faassenii.

Return to “Perennials”