Rosie51

How to care for moss roses?

I just bought some moss roses and have planted them but not sure how much water they need and the best way to care for them. I understand they will spread and this is good. I planted them on a hillside with room to grow.

With winter coming, is there anything I need to do special for them?

minnesota_girl

You just bought them? Moss roses are an annual, so if they didn't go to seed they wouldn't come back, unless you live in the south. They do spread really nice, I bought 6 six-packs last year (36 plants) and planted them throughout the garden, and the seeds sprouted in the spring and by July the garden was filled with their beautiful rose-like blooms.

As for special care, no. I didn't do a thing to them them the year before. You don't have to collect seeds either, just let them fall. At this point, the foliage on mine is orange and only a few flowers are lingering, some of the seeds have already fallen to the ground.

If you don't know if there are seeds or not, look for blackish brown colored things that look like buds, and if you still don't know if it's a bud or seed head look for an old brown flower petals on it or just crack crack it open and see if their are tiny black seeds inside.

Don't worry if you don't see them right away in the spring. It may take them a little while for them to sprout. Water them and give them time.
Last edited by minnesota_girl on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie51

thanks so much for the good advice. Yes, I did just buy them. I hope they will re-seed themselves before the frost gets them. We don't normally get a frost before the end of October and sometimes not until the middle of November. I will go and see if I can find any seeds on them though...

Return to “Perennials”