opp2

September & October Ok to Move Perennials?

Hello all,

It's that time of year, and after another summer by the pool, my husband and I have decided to change the gardens around the pool. They were professionaly designed three years ago, however now we find we have tall out front, short in back and some that didn't like the conditions.

I am going to move 7 potentilla to the side of my house from a full baking sun to another full sun, but not as many hours location. I also want to move some lillies only a few feet backward. They will get more shade, but stop blocking my view of some of my other plants.

Also I want to plant some short blue/grey foliage in the bed by the pool. I had beautiful wormwood artemesia there but they can't take the splashing I guess. I lost the last four of seven this season.

So here are the questions:

Would you move them in September/October or wait til spring?

I am considering putting in some low Junipers in the garden close to the pool ladder. Will they tolerate saltwater splashing from the pool as well?

Will the lillies tolerate being moved only a few feet (not more than 4) from where they are now?

I also want to move some purple echinacea and some daisies to another location, but I haven't decided where yet. I have the full side of my house but it is mostly shade. Will they do survive in shade after three years of full baking sunshine?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It depends on the plant that you want to move. Generallyu most can be moved either in the spring or fall, but a few prefer one over the other. Potenetilla shouldn't be a problem and neither should daylilies. Junipers prefer it dry but if water strikes it once in a while I see no problem. You might want to go to

https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com

and enter the perennials in the search area at top to see when plants prefer being moved instead of searching the whole blog.

buddy110

I move things every fall. I have yet to lose a plant.

good luck

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I also move lots of plants around in fall. More so October to early November though.

opp2

Hello Everyone!

So my back is killing me, despite all the working out I do. I moved 7 potentilla today, as well as a baby lambs ear, baby echinacea and my blanket flowers. The soil I moved them to is quite a bit of clay so I spent some time digging and ammending.

My honey is happy with the new look of one side. Wait til he sees what I do with the Lillies.

I've decided to leave a lot of the space til the spring and then decide if I'll use some annuals as well as a couple of perrennials here and there.

Question about Sedum though. My neighbours have sedum and they are nice sice about 1.5 feet, nice tight clumps. I have monsters. About 2.5 feet tall, spread about 3-4 feet around, and the collapse because they are so big. Is this really good soil, or the plants themselves. All three are the same. They are the same colour as my neighbour to the south.

We like the smaller versions, but these big ones are really quite too much.

buddy110

opp2 wrote:Hello Everyone!

So my back is killing me, despite all the working out I do. I moved 7 potentilla today, as well as a baby lambs ear, baby echinacea and my blanket flowers. The soil I moved them to is quite a bit of clay so I spent some time digging and ammending.

My honey is happy with the new look of one side. Wait til he sees what I do with the Lillies.

I've decided to leave a lot of the space til the spring and then decide if I'll use some annuals as well as a couple of perrennials here and there.

Question about Sedum though. My neighbours have sedum and they are nice sice about 1.5 feet, nice tight clumps. I have monsters. About 2.5 feet tall, spread about 3-4 feet around, and the collapse because they are so big. Is this really good soil, or the plants themselves. All three are the same. They are the same colour as my neighbour to the south.

We like the smaller versions, but these big ones are really quite too much.
Just pinch them back all season like to you woulld a mum. They'll stay more compact that way.

opp2

Wouldn't you not get any flowers in the fall that way? Seems to me they get their flowers only on on stem.

buddy110

opp2 wrote:Wouldn't you not get any flowers in the fall that way? Seems to me they get their flowers only on on stem.
Sure they will. Pinch bacjk the newest shoots at the "Y". Stop pinching them in mid August. The flowers will bloom on the new growth.

Return to “Perennials”