angies
Newly Registered

Can't germinate pansy seeds

Hello,
I'm having hard time germinating pansy seeds. I've tried various varieties of seeds, propagators, smaller pots and various methods with a combination of indoor (windowsill) and outdoor etc etc. It is just freaking me out. I've no issue in germinating any other flower/veg seeds well except strawberry which is another pain.

Any helpful idea on how to germinate them quickly with success? Or what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

imafan26
Mod

You don't say what your zone is. Pansy and viola seeds are not that hard to germinate. But they are slow to grow. They do like it warmer for germination so summer is a good time to germinate them. If you live in the south July or August will be better. I have less luck growing them in seed starts because they grow so slow. I have better luck just scattering the seed over the bed. I grow them in a semi shade location because I live where the sun is intense. I usually don't cover seed that small, I only press them in. I cover the seed bed with a few layers of newspaper because they need to germinate in the dark. It is also easier to water the newspaper and keep the seeds from moving around too much. It can take 10-20 days to germinate, so I have to keep looking under the paper to see if they have sprouted enough to remove the newspaper layer.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”