ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

Seeds On Amazon?

I am looking at pepper seeds on Amazon. Anyone know what one might stay away from or if it's on Amazon safe to assume it's an okay purchase? I am just going to plant a few more. They should be ready by late June I would think or July. Thai Peppers, Ghost Peppers, Scotch Bonnet Peppers and more. Most I will buy as plants as I don't have the room to grow all types of peppers.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I don't know who sells plants through Amazon, but there is a place in my state I have ordered plants from, one season when I wasn't 100%, due to surgery, and all of the plants did great. Huge selection, too, even more than they had back then. Maybe with them, or one of those on Amazon, they have quantity deals.
https://www.chileplants.com/pepper-plants.aspx

ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

pepperhead212 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:53 pm
I don't know who sells plants through Amazon, but there is a place in my state I have ordered plants from, one season when I wasn't 100%, due to surgery, and all of the plants did great. Huge selection, too, even more than they had back then. Maybe with them, or one of those on Amazon, they have quantity deals.
https://www.chileplants.com/pepper-plants.aspx
Sorry I did not make my post very clear. I am only buying seeds through Amazon and was wondering if I can trust any pepper seeds I find on Amazon and not have to worry to much. I have seen some for seemingly cheap and some pretty pricey.

I go to a locally owned garden center and one store that has a garden center to buy all my plants, mostly in 4inch pots. I will buy some in 6inch pots. My goal this year is to have just over 300 plants and increase my pot size too which means more soil. I have bought a lot of Whitney Farms soil hoping it is as good as the bag says it is. I also have some Black Gold and EB Stone.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Amazon seeds are fairly expensive, though once in a while, when I only needed one type replaced, or something like that, I'd buy them from the various 3rd party sellers, and never had a problem. But usually I'd get them from some of the other seed catalogs, with a number of other types of seeds, so the shipping charges weren't excessive, when divided up between a bunch of envelopes. Or get one of those occasional deals we all look for, with free shipping for any order, or something like that. But we normally start looking for things like that the year before, when they have deals, before the seeds for the next year are available - sometimes 50% off orders (which usually more than pays for shipping). And a favorite source for most gardeners, since the shipping is free, and the seeds are dependable, is Baker Creek.
https://www.rareseeds.com/catalogsearch ... ot+Peppers

ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

pepperhead212 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:05 am
Amazon seeds are fairly expensive, though once in a while, when I only needed one type replaced, or something like that, I'd buy them from the various 3rd party sellers, and never had a problem. But usually I'd get them from some of the other seed catalogs, with a number of other types of seeds, so the shipping charges weren't excessive, when divided up between a bunch of envelopes. Or get one of those occasional deals we all look for, with free shipping for any order, or something like that. But we normally start looking for things like that the year before, when they have deals, before the seeds for the next year are available - sometimes 50% off orders (which usually more than pays for shipping). And a favorite source for most gardeners, since the shipping is free, and the seeds are dependable, is Baker Creek.
https://www.rareseeds.com/catalogsearch ... ot+Peppers
Cool cool, though my neighbors, who are like family, have prime so all shipping is free. But I noticed the average price on pepper seeds is $6.00 for 20 seeds. Some are cheaper but thats an average.

You know if you were pepperhead2112 that would make you a pepper fan and a Rush fan too.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

All those seeds are not free shipping, with Prime, unless specifically labeled prime. You'll see some cheaper, but that's why - there will be a shipping charge added! But one thing you can do - many of the 3rd party sellers sell more than just one type, and there is usually a link to their store, labeled in various ways, and sometimes they will have a deal if you buy several from one place. There are also some sellers on ebay with large numbers of pepper seeds, and I've bought a lot more there, than on amazon, and the weird thing is that I have gotten free shipping, with great prices per envelope, from Australia and India! Some of the sellers may be selling on Amazon now, but I've seen better prices on ebay. And I've never had any problems with the seeds.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

As with many items on any website, some from Amazon are great, some not so great. As stated the real cost of the seeds needs to be checked with shipping costs and where they come from. My wife ordered some seeds and later realized they came on the slow boat from China and once they arrived a month too late to plant, the package actually was a charger cord for an iPhone.

Not a fan of Baker ( my opinion only, I am sure seeds there are just fine for the most part) but there are lots of reputable seeds sellers who do not go through Amazon...and lots of good ones who do use Amazon. Caveat emptor.

imafan26
Mod

You have to be careful on ebay and amazon. I ordered seeds on amazon, but they were confiscated by the Dept. of Ag because the company did not have a valid ag certificate. I did get my money back from amazon and that was a good thing. If it had been a personal seller, that would have been a different story.

I did not realize when I bought the seeds that the company was based in China.
And Hawaii Dept of Ag has strict import/export requirements.

ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

imafan26 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:36 pm
You have to be careful on ebay and amazon. I ordered seeds on amazon, but they were confiscated by the Dept. of Ag because the company did not have a valid ag certificate. I did get my money back from amazon and that was a good thing. If it had been a personal seller, that would have been a different story.

I did not realize when I bought the seeds that the company was based in China.
And Hawaii Dept of Ag has strict import/export requirements.
So that Chines balloon that flew over the US and was shot down, that might of been delivering your seeds?

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”