Avocadoh
Newly Registered

Avocado plant: green stem but no taproot??

:shock:
I started growing avocado plants from seeds during the pandemic since I was making guacamole like every week.

I’ve grown four to 20 inches tall and one is 12 inches and have four pits just with their tap roots and tiny bit of stem.

ONE however has started to grow the stem but no tap root and I have no idea what this means. I germinated the five seeds wrapped in a moist paper towel place in a ziploc baggie. There was no difference so I’m not sure why this happened, maybe due to the seeds genetics..not sure.

Basically question is, can an avocado plant survive without a taproot?? Should I keep it in the paper towel and baggie?
Attachments
51E3F640-AB05-4055-878B-BA20CF5F963B.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Looking at your pic, it’s early stages yet — this one’s probably just a little bit confused.

What have you been doing with the other ones that sprouted? You could probably just do the same since the seed has woken up. Be careful not to let the base of the seed dry out.

imafan26
Mod

I guess you are growing these for fun.
Avocados do not breed true from seed. They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get, and it will take 7-10 years to find out from seed.

The seedlings however, will be useful, if you want to graft a known avocado on them later.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”