odSteve
Cool Member

Starting Gaillardia Collected Seeds

Hi,
I have what I believe is a Gaillardia on the other side of my yard and I collected what I believe are hundreds of its seeds last summer. Do its seeds need to be cooled in a refrigerator for a few weeks before planting?

My original plan (suggested by U-Tube videos) was to place them on a moist paper towel in a plastic bag in the refrigerator and as each one started to sprout to transfer it to a peat puck until it developed its seed-leaves then transfer it outside. That was supposed to minimize transplanting root damage.
But after reading posts on this forum, I don't feel comfortable using the peat puck seed starting methods.

I don't have a green house and very limited kitchen window space. My house is very small and has no room for any type of grow light setup. My biggest question is do the seeds need a time in moist, cold refrigeration? The seeds are very small so I hesitate to plant them directly outside until after they have germinated and developed some roots. And I want to plant hundreds of these seedlings. What do you suggest?

Thank you.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I won't have a definitive answer for you, odSteve.

I planted gaillardia in my front yard, years ago. Since they do so well reseeding themselves, it is difficult for me to know how long the plants live; they are just back and blooming every year.

The seeds were purchased and started in our greenhouse. There was no initial preparation of the seed and no problem with them as seedlings. I don't recall any real transplanting shock. They have never had to be replaced and each year are growing with lilies, ornamental allium, petunias, dahlias, and several other species.

I looked back at your earlier posts and see that you are in NE California. (off topic: My family thought about moving to Alturas from Medford when I was a kid.) Gaillardia are native to North America and live throughout western US. They are in some "wild" places around here, either native or naturalized. I would imagine them to be very well suited to your location.

Steve

applestar
Mod

The refrigerator pre-germinating method is excellent for seeds that will germinate in cooler temperatures (like peas, sunflowers, spinach, lettuce), but for many, the refrigerator should only be used for pre-chilling, then the seeds should be pre-germinated in room temperature or warmer.

The “pre-germinate and plant” should only be used when you have everything needed ready to go. Even when you do, the timing is critical and you can get overwhelmed (believe me I know! :roll:)

If you are good about going outside and checking frequently, a method you can use when you don’t have an indoor seed starting set up (good lighting is ESSENTIAL) is to sow seeds in a larger container at least 6 inches deep of moistened seed starting mix, and with plenty of drainage holes, wrap with floating cover and then cover with vented plastic. Then place this outside in a wind-sheltered bright location that does not get puddled.

This is similar to “winter sowing” method.

Wrapping with floating cover material protects from direct sun, modicum of frost, as well as intrusion by bugs from the drainage holes. The clear cover must be vented to prevent overheating.

I’ve done this in black nursery pots (1gallon?) covered with clear plastic aluminum take out pan covers and taped down across the top.

The issue is nothing happens for a long time, but you have to check frequently to make sure the pot hasn’t dried out or gotten soggy, and you need to move the container to direct sun or away from changing shadows as the sun changes angle and position. It’s critical that you don’t miss the seeds sprouting for more than a couple of days.

I suspect gaillardia needs to be surface down or very shallow, barely covered. So the floating cover will allow bright light without smothering and provide additional protection.

I have most trouble with not keeping an eye on the pot and NOT LABELING clearly — what was this again? :oops: — also I have had the pot knocked over or moved (animals, snow drifts/shoveling) or the covers blown off (tape failure).

Indoors, if all you need is to light up one square foot area, you can always use the aluminum shaded utility/chicken light and daylight CFL. Under cabinet strip light or aquarium tank light of sufficient brightness would serve as well.

imafan26
Mod

I have a hard time keeping gaillardia plants alive, much less getting them to bloom. I could use some tips on that.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”