TIsn'tCool
Newly Registered

Question about timing indoor seed lights

Hello,

I recently started a seed shelf with lights and per the included directions I've been keeping the lights on for 16 hours straight. I've been turning them off at 12a.m. and on at 8a.m.. Even though they are LED light's the heat they give off is noticeable in my living arrangement, because of that I would like to change the time I turn the lights off at 12p.m. and on at 8p.m. avoiding the extra heat when it's hot already. Would that have any kind of affect on the seedlings? And I do plan to plant them outside where they would have to go through basically the same change again.

No_Shade555

Hi There and welcome!

I am new here as well and am currently growing hot peppers indoors in a tent using LED lights much like yours. From the research I have done I would not recommend that time range. If you were growing them fully indoors I would say go for it, but if these plants are eventually going to be planted outside their internal clocks may get a bit messed up. Although I am sure it is not necessary, I like to try to imitate the sun as much as possible when growing indoors. For your problem with heat as we head into the summer I would say a really good solution for you would be an automated timer. I look up what time the sun will rise and fall in the given season and use that as my on and off time. Right now I have my lights turning on at 5:30 am and turning off at 8:30 PM. By doing this you wouldn't need to constantly be remembering to turn your lights on and off while at the same time keeping the living area cooler during the earlier hours of the night. Something else that would help you majorly would be a grow tent. grow tents retain heat very well and allow for optimal control for indoor growing. You could very easily maintain the heat required inside the tent and barely notice a difference in your living area. Some can be expensive, but if you are only going to use it for when your plants are small you could invest in a small one for decently cheap. If you are interested I can show you pictures of my set up.

Good luck,

-Shade

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”