kaizmoto1489
Newly Registered

I need some ideas about light bulbs

Hello everyone,
I need some opinions on the best bulb set up for seed starting. I have always heard in the past that you want to use one cool white and one warm white bulb to start your seeds, and in the past I have done this with good success but I have also read and seen videos of people saying to use two 6500k bulbs which I believe are daylight bulbs. what is everyones thoughts on this?
Thanks all.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

When labeled "daylight bulbs", they are usually 5,000k, and these, or 6500k are the best for starting seeds. Another thing you need to look at is the output, or lumens, and they should be close to 3,000 (the 6500 is a little lower, usually, but has more of the wavelengths the seedlings like), and for setting up a 4' light for putting two standard 1020 trays under, you'll need 4 of those lights - two will not really grow the outer plants very well. And there are many LED fixtures on the market now. Some are very much like the T8 bulbs, but the ones I've seen that get put in the same fixtures, to replace the old bulbs, didn't have the lumens output, though maybe they will improve them. I have gotten some really good 4' LED fixtures from Harbor Freight, which are 60w 5,000k, and 5,000 lumens output - almost like T5 bulbs, which are almost enough to replace 2 T8 bulbs.

There are a lot of more expensive LED fixtures, that are placed farther away from the plants, since they have a higher output; the only one I have grew peppers well, but tomatoes got leggy, but this is the only experience I have with that type.

No_Shade555

Hi there,

I will say I am still new to all of this but thought I would just let you know what I used for starting my pepper plants. I currently have a ViparSpectra Par 700. I love the thing it is such high quality and it gives you the flexibility to fine tune your spectrum. I will say though that for an LED array it gives off a decent amount of heat. It is also rather pricey but I am loving it currently.

Good luck with your grow!

-Shade

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”