SQWIB
Greener Thumb

A short video on my Grow Light observations

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I'll be waiting to see how the plants produce, in the long run. Usually, I find that pepper plants that have started flowering in the pots have gotten rootbound, as yours seems to have, and sometimes they don't grow as quickly, once put outside, and some even never really recovered. This is why I started a couple fast growers later this season, because they tend to start budding, before I put them out, and I really don't want to re-pot them 10 days before putting them out! Lazy, I guess...

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

pepperhead212 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 pm
I'll be waiting to see how the plants produce, in the long run. Usually, I find that pepper plants that have started flowering in the pots have gotten rootbound, as yours seems to have, and sometimes they don't grow as quickly, once put outside, and some even never really recovered. This is why I started a couple fast growers later this season, because they tend to start budding, before I put them out, and I really don't want to re-pot them 10 days before putting them out! Lazy, I guess...

And that's where I'm at, lol, I up-potted Sunday and will be planting late April.
I was surprised at the Hungarian Wax and Pepperoncini. If I grow them next season, I'll start with my sweets. I learned this lesson with Jalapenos, I start them with my sweets as well.

I haven't noticed any ill effect from planting out root bound starts. Come to think of it, when I used to buy my starts from the nursery, they were always root bound and never noticed an issue, I will keep a closer look and see what happens.

I have noticed however that getting them in the ground a few weeks early really don't make a difference, they all seem to catch up with each other anyhow.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

@SQUIB, @Pepperhead212, I'm interested in this thread. Please keep us updated as the plants progress. Myself, as a kind of luddite/cheapskate hybrid I really want to hear that the expensive lights offer no significant advantage :). And I'm interested in the whole subject of whether later, or punier transplants catch up with earlier or sturdier ones.

Thanks SQUIB for sharing your experience with the different lights. Is there any real difference in total lumen output between the two sets?

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”