aaardvark

How's this gonna work? Seed variety pack

Radish variety seed pack with ten varieties. However, the varieties grow radishes of radically different shapes and sizes (daikon, cherry belle, French Breakfast, etc.).

Is it a mistake to try this out? Should I try to tell the seeds apart and grow similar sized radishes together?

What do you think?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes that's OK, but the one thing that I've run into with "mixes" like that a couple of times is that I found something that I really liked, but I didn't know what it was, and even the places I got them from couldn't give me an idea of what varieties they were! Then, the only way to keep it, is to save the seeds, which isn't always easy.

applestar
Mod

Hmmm the major difference and question is just what type of daikon this might be. There is a radical difference in time to harvest for Regular round red radishes vs. daikon, as well as depth of soil they need (which Besides the obvious, and among other things will speak to amount of water they will need). Also very important to note that daikon divides into summer type and winter type (growing temperature that will trigger bolting).

— I believe daikon seeds will be much bigger, btw.

***ALL OF THE ABOVE IS MOOT if in fact you are talking about _icicle_ radish which are just like regular radish — just white and elongated.

- Regular round radish can be grown almost anywhere and anytime except when it’s hot and/or dry so they are not a huge deal, but it really wouldn’t be the right time to grow them going into summer.

- If there is a full specific Variety list, then there is some hope to make the right choices.

aaardvark

This includes icicle radish in the mix, but that wasn't the one I was talking about it. The daikon I was concerned about is "Minowase" which evidently one of the bigger types of daikon (although not gigantic).

This pack has Cherry Belle, French Breakfast, Black Spanish, Icicle, Minowase, and a bunch of others.

applestar wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:22 pm
Hmmm the major difference and question is just what type of daikon this might be. There is a radical difference in time to harvest for Regular round red radishes vs. daikon, as well as depth of soil they need (which Besides the obvious, and among other things will speak to amount of water they will need). Also very important to note that daikon divides into summer type and winter type (growing temperature that will trigger bolting).

— I believe daikon seeds will be much bigger, btw.

***ALL OF THE ABOVE IS MOOT if in fact you are talking about _icicle_ radish which are just like regular radish — just white and elongated.

- Regular round radish can be grown almost anywhere and anytime except when it’s hot and/or dry so they are not a huge deal, but it really wouldn’t be the right time to grow them going into summer.

- If there is a full specific Variety list, then there is some hope to make the right choices.

applestar
Mod

Black Spanish seeds are larger than regular reds, and Minowase is smaller than the larger winter daikon. Guess the good news is Minowase is considered a summer daikon.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”