Kell97
Newly Registered

Thinning out poppy seedlings

Hi I'm new here so bear with me. I decided to start a flower garden from seed, so I started some poppies indoors. I spread the tiny seeds into the starter cells last week and now seem to have several hundred seedlings sprouting. My question is, do I thin these out to one poppy plant per cell? Thanks, Dan

KeyWee

You don't say what kind of poppies they are, but in any case I would thin them out to several plants per cell (3-4). You could still eventually thin them some more as they get larger.
Welcome!!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Hello and welcome! I have a small backyard greenhouse, and I work with many seeds, including coleus and snapdraogns, so I understand about working with itty bitty stuff. Here's what I do: I have a 12" x 12" plastic tray that came with one of those mini-greenhouse kits. I line the tray with a seed starting mix, mist it over to go ahead and settle the soil, sprinkle the seeds on top, cover the seeds only slightly and mist gently again. Keep the soil moist, but not too wet. After most of the seeds have germinated, I set up single pots for each baby plant. Using a plant label or stick(or plastic spoon) I pry out as many of the largest seedlings as I can and place them in their own pot. I then reluctantly discard the punier seedlings. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it works.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”