RayVGFL
Newly Registered

Cucumber Germination gone wrong?

Hey everyone!

I'm new on this forum and I would love to start of by asking some questions regarding my germination process that is going on right now!

As for this year I've started to plant cucumber seeds,tomato seeds,eggplant and peper seeds! So right after 3 days cucumber seeds started to show their beautiful tiny leaves but I'm kinda getting worries that I've messed something up with my germination process..

The leaves start curling down and I'm getting worried what the issue could be for this? Is this even normale or not? The thing is I've looked online about this issue and everywhere I read about curled down leaves means underwatering but I'm 100% positive I give them enough water!

So I've got them into this DIY grow box I have made.. I have them under 8 CFL bulbs each 24w 6500k with 1450 lumens each bulb. At night the temperature in the box is around 20c (68 degrees Fahrenheit) and at day the temp is between 25c-30c (Between 77-86 degrees Fahrenheit) I gave them 18 hours light each day and now I've downed it to 16 hours.. And I'm sticking with 16 hours since nun of the other seedlings have germinated yet. Tomatoes have but they are still very tiny (thank god not long legged) The humidity is between 35-48.. Do they need more humidity?

So could someone perhaps give me some advice? Am I doing something thats causing these leaves to curl down or is it natural?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_20190320_112119.jpg
Look at these beautiful tomato seedlings I love how they look.
Look at these beautiful tomato seedlings I love how they look.

applestar
Mod

Put a thermometer at the level of cucumber leaves or simply put your hand there but be careful CFL bulbs get hot and it’s possible it might be too hot for them.

...also have you looked at them just after lights turn on? Some seedlings hold their leaves up at night, and could be almost touching the bulbs.

The other issue is cucumbers are root sensitive. It looks like the seed leaves are reaching beyond pot rim. That means their roots are touching the side of the pot already, They don’t play well with siblings in the same pot either. Get ready to uppot or plant out already. You can buy a little time by culling the cuke seedlings to just one per pot.

Tomato seedlings do look good - they are getting enough light. I assume you plant to thin/cull? Right now they only have one taproot and will even pull out. As soon as they spread seedleaves open, they will be growing branch roots that will tangle so you will need to cut/clip extras... or you can carefully separate after digging out but it doesn’t look like that’s what you intended.

Peppers generally take twice as long to germinate/sprout.

RayVGFL
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply Applestar.

Yes usually I have a thermo/humidity monitor next to the cucumber leaves to check temp. Whenever I have my CFLs on its around 29c. this might be way to hot doesnt it? does taping the walls with a mirror like tape cause to heat up the grow box I made? I already put the cucumber a bit lower than normale and might start repotting them tomorrow as there are way to many in 1 pot.

And you are right I'm gonna thin the tomato seedlings and repot them later. Not gonna thin heavily though! the eggplant seedlings leaves are slowly coming up too! just going to wait for the pepper ones as u mention its gonna take a while.

haha can't wait!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”