pointer80

Question about seed watering and germination

Hello everyone, I have a question about my seed starts. My seeds are starting to sprout but I still have about half not sprouted yet(mostly peppers and onions). It's been about 9 days since I planted eggplant, peppers(7 kinds), leeks, and onions. One thing I am noticing is the cells are drying out at different rates for some reason. I mean some still seem fairly moist while others in the same flat seem pretty dry. One question is can a seed dry out for a short period, like overnite and still be alright as long as you water it the next day? Also out of 24 Jimmy Nardello pepper seeds only 2 have sprouted so far. Like I mentioned I have quite a few peppers already sprouted so I assume everything is ok with my setup. Do some peppers of the same variety germinate at different rates? I hope I am not wearing out my welcome with so many questions but I just want to be as knowledgeable as possible. Thanks all.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, any time you plant a bunch of seeds, all of the same variety in the same conditions, they will sprout at different times over a period of at least a few days and sometimes longer.

It is an evolutionary adaptation. If a plant were to drop a group of seeds and they all sprouted at the same time, if that day happened to be very unfavorable--scorching hot or a hail storm or whatever-- that whole generation of offspring would be wiped out. By programming them to sprout at different times, it increases the odds that at least some of them will survive.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Good point by rainbow about the evolution causing the different germination times. Also, 9 days really isn't sthat long for pepper seeds to germinate. It has been 7 days since I planted 18 varieties of peppers, and so far only 5 varieties have germinated, and that is at between 85 and 90º. I assume that you are using a heat mat, or other warm area, since at room temp you probably wouldn't have gotten any to germinate yet! And a heat mat can dry pots out fast, unless you cover them. What size pots are you using? As to your question, whether they can survive a drying out, that depends on how deep it has sent down a tap root , and how deep the drying goes down. They are very sensitive at this stage, and you should do something to prevent this. I sprout my peppers in a covered tray with strips of vermiculite, always kept moist, and remove them to larger pots under the lights. Also, are you using a soilless mix that you've used before, with success? I ask this because I had two varieties in the past that dried out so fast that I had to water them twice a day! Yet, they were labeled as seed starting mix!

applestar
Mod

Because of the small volume in each cell, slight difference can cause variations. One possible cause which I mentioned in your other thread is whether the table/bench/shelf is level. Other possibilities include light, air currents, how evenly the cells were packed, how evenly the medium was blended, etc. any that have sprouting/growing seedlings will dry out faster.

There may be difference in the condition of the seeds even from same packet.

This is why, like pepperhead212, I prefer to start the seeds then transplant/uppot same/similar growth seedlings together. I really don’t like cells ending up with empties that are taking up prime space on the heatmat and under the lights.

There is a critical point when sprouted seeds are susceptible to drying out. But as long as you are not talking about BONE DRY they should be OK. It IS a good idea to check on your seedlings at least twice a day — morning and at night before lights out.

pointer80

pepperhead212 wrote:Good point by rainbow about the evolution causing the different germination times. Also, 9 days really isn't sthat long for pepper seeds to germinate. It has been 7 days since I planted 18 varieties of peppers, and so far only 5 varieties have germinated, and that is at between 85 and 90º. I assume that you are using a heat mat, or other warm area, since at room temp you probably wouldn't have gotten any to germinate yet! And a heat mat can dry pots out fast, unless you cover them. What size pots are you using? As to your question, whether they can survive a drying out, that depends on how deep it has sent down a tap root , and how deep the drying goes down. They are very sensitive at this stage, and you should do something to prevent this. I sprout my peppers in a covered tray with strips of vermiculite, always kept moist, and remove them to larger pots under the lights. Also, are you using a soilless mix that you've used before, with success? I ask this because I had two varieties in the past that dried out so fast that I had to water them twice a day! Yet, they were labeled as seed starting mix!
Yes I am using heat mats. I am using a different soil mix this year from a local company that is very popular around here. I am also using the 72 cells per tray inserts

pointer80

Thanks all, One thing I have notice is that the temp on top of the soil below the lights is getting about 90 degrees. I am using 4 foot T-12 6500K shop lights,

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That is very hot and means that the soil will dry out very fast. I also know that planting in the small cells and having them on heat mats, they dry out very fast. You may need to move your lights a little farther away, if they are giving off a lot of heat. I do all bottom watering for seed starting/growing-- all the cells are in trays and I just pour a little water into the bottom of the tray, just enough to reach the bottom of the cells so they can wick it up. But for the ones on heat mats, I often have to add water twice a day.

pointer80

rainbowgardener wrote:That is very hot and means that the soil will dry out very fast. I also know that planting in the small cells and having them on heat mats, they dry out very fast. You may need to move your lights a little farther away, if they are giving off a lot of heat. I do all bottom watering for seed starting/growing-- all the cells are in trays and I just pour a little water into the bottom of the tray, just enough to reach the bottom of the cells so they can wick it up. But for the ones on heat mats, I often have to add water twice a day.
Thanks rainbow, I also water from the bottom and my trays are level. I am going to move the lights up just a little. I checked today and it didn't seem as warm under the lights with just my hand. I do have more peppers starting to sprout which makes me happy. I am just nervous I guess..lol. A lot of my problem is this is the first time using this set up, Usually I do seedlings in my basement but this year I am doing it out in my workshop so until I dial everything in it's nerve racking. I have noticed there is a lot of condensation in my set up but so far I haven't noticed no ill effects. I have been using cinnamon as a anti fungal measure on top of the soil.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”