pointer80

opinions wanted on this seed starting mix

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a seed starting mix from a local company in my area and want your input on it. The company is called Morgan composting and there products are called Dairy Doo. It is very popular in my area. Here is the ingredients of the dairy doo 101 seed starting mix I mentioned in a earlier post, poultry compost, worm castings, sphagnum peat moss, coconut coir, paramagnetic rock, hical lime, gypsum, vermiculite and perlite. It is a popular mix in my area. What do you all think? thanks.

pointer80

Anybody??

applestar
Mod

OK I’ll give it a try — IMHO This mix might be a little too rich for seed starting. it sounds like a great mix, but I would buffer it somehow.

How do you tend to start seeds? If you sow then allow to grow to almost full planting size without uppotting, then put this mix in the bottom, but use something else to layer on the top. Maybe vermiculite.

This is what I’m doing this year using Coast of Maine organic potting mix, which I believe is a pretty rich mix... and it has been working so far. For seeds that are started in the cup, I use about 1/2 inch layer of vermiculite on the top.

For seeds that I pre-germinate using what I call “Seedzip” method, I plant/sow the pre-germinated and pre-sprouted seeds — I have been putting about 1/4” of vermiculite on top.

The difference is that I’m trying to keep the seeds from being in direct contact with too rich potting mix which could potentially prevent germination. Once it sprouts and opens up seedleaves, I believe the seed root can be in the potting mix since it will soon be ready to grow branched roots that are designed to take up nutrients.

...also, I’m going ahead with straight mix because I’m starting seeds later than usual and need them to grow rapidly (6-8 weeks) to good size. If I was not rushing them, I would have cut/diluted the mix in half by mixing with something like 2:1:1 ratio of potting mix:shredded coir:sand or perlite, so they might grow more slowly and not get too big inside before they can be planted. (At least that’s the theory :wink: ) I’ve done this in the past and had good results. They would get additional fertilizer as needed later... usually when they start going outside to start hardening off.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I wonder if there is a way to purchase exactly the potting mix that is used by Bonnie Plants. I recently bought some Bell Pepper plants and noticed the mix had some white particles which seemed to be like Styrofoam. I know that the more porous the mix the better for root production. There is really not so much "soil" in Bonnie Plants mix, but I am sure they throw the Miracle Gro at their small plants.

pointer80

applestar wrote:OK I’ll give it a try — IMHO This mix might be a little too rich for seed starting. it sounds like a great mix, but I would buffer it somehow.

How do you tend to start seeds? If you sow then allow to grow to almost full planting size without uppotting, then put this mix in the bottom, but use something else to layer on the top. Maybe vermiculite.

This is what I’m doing this year using Coast of Maine organic potting mix, which I believe is a pretty rich mix... and it has been working so far. For seeds that are started in the cup, I use about 1/2 inch layer of vermiculite on the top.

For seeds that I pre-germinate using what I call “Seedzip” method, I plant/sow the pre-germinated and pre-sprouted seeds — I have been putting about 1/4” of vermiculite on top.

The difference is that I’m trying to keep the seeds from being in direct contact with too rich potting mix which could potentially prevent germination. Once it sprouts and opens up seedleaves, I believe the seed root can be in the potting mix since it will soon be ready to grow branched roots that are designed to take up nutrients.

...also, I’m going ahead with straight mix because I’m starting seeds later than usual and need them to grow rapidly (6-8 weeks) to good size. If I was not rushing them, I would have cut/diluted the mix in half by mixing with something like 2:1:1 ratio of potting mix:shredded coir:sand or perlite, so they might grow more slowly and not get too big inside before they can be planted. (At least that’s the theory :wink: ) I’ve done this in the past and had good results. They would get additional fertilizer as needed later... usually when they start going outside to start hardening off.
I am staring them in cells and then up potting

applestar
Mod

I think you could use the mix as is when uppotting.

applestar
Mod

lakngulf wrote:I wonder if there is a way to purchase exactly the potting mix that is used by Bonnie Plants. I recently bought some Bell Pepper plants and noticed the mix had some white particles which seemed to be like Styrofoam. I know that the more porous the mix the better for root production. There is really not so much "soil" in Bonnie Plants mix, but I am sure they throw the Miracle Gro at their small plants.
Have not found specific formula/recipe or product after a quick search, but did come across this page:

:arrow: You Must Use a Good Potting Mix - Bonnie Plants
https://bonnieplants.com/library/you-mu ... tting-mix/

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”