rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

seeds started?

Anyone starting seeds yet? In my current situation, my seed starting has to be in my unheated garage. We had a respite for a few days and are now back in the deep freeze, with three more nights in the teens. Garage is just too cold to be starting seeds -- for the seeds and for me to be out there working with them.

MoonShadows

Too early for us, yet. Our last frost date is usually around mid-May. I usually take a chance and cheat a little bit keeping my fingers crossed and row covers ready. I'll probably start mine right around the first day of Spring in the greenhouse. Lettuce, spinach, etc. will be in much earlier.

applestar
Mod

You reminded me I wanted to GET some seeds that NEEDS to be started this month! :bouncey:

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I'll be planting some Maypops this week, but I'm having second thoughts about the plant after hearing about my brothers experience.

applestar
Mod

Oh? What’s the issue? That’s on my list of possible edible perennials.....

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Oh? What’s the issue? That’s on my list of possible edible perennials.....
the way my brother described it was that they were popping up all over in his yard, all the way across to the neighbors yard 40' away.
Mine will be in the front on a trellis with some of my herbs but I don't want to be pulling these out every day.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You won't be pulling them out every day and if they are in a container on a trellis, they will be pretty well contained. They do spread fairly rampantly.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

No container, they'll be in the ground.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:You reminded me I wanted to GET some seeds that NEEDS to be started this month! :bouncey:
like what?

applestar
Mod

Artichokes, onions, broccoli... maybe cauliflower, too.

I’m also going to see if I can grow some arugula, lettuce and spinach ...maybe baby Swiss chard, too... in the Garage V8 Nursery until it’s warm enough in there to keep the warm-weather seedlings. (The Winter Tomatoes in there were wiped out in the last super freeze — but I did harvest the last round of blushed and ripe fruits).

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Artichokes, onions, broccoli... maybe cauliflower, too.

I’m also going to see if I can grow some arugula, lettuce and spinach ...maybe baby Swiss chard, too... in the Garage V8 Nursery until it’s warm enough in there to keep the warm-weather seedlings. (The Winter Tomatoes in there were wiped out in the last super freeze — but I did harvest the last round of blushed and ripe fruits).
Uh Oh, I have my artichokes to be started February 3rd, is this too late?
And my Broccoli March 5th?

And for my Lettuces and perpetual spinach I have Direct Sow March 17th.
Would ANYONE mind if I posted my planting schedule for some advice, or should I start a new thread?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Probably better to start your own thread, it will be easier for you to keep track of.... :) :)

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Probably better to start your own thread, it will be easier for you to keep track of.... :) :)
Sounds good to me.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Nothing started yet. Trying to decide if I try to grow pepper plants from seed or just buy plants. I plan to grow a bunch of Cherokee Purple. All my plant recipients and tomato harvesters have voted it Fan Favorite. I am also trying to root-grow couple hundred Hydrangea this year. Some are in the greenhouse and some outside. We will see.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

wrong place, sorry.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nothing started yet, but today I got my shelf system out of the shed (necessitating finding other places for all the stuff that had some how occupied it in the meantime :) ) and wiped all the dust and spider webs off it and set it up in the garage. As soon as I can, I will get it set up with the lights, heat mats, cover and then get to work planting some seeds!!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I am about to be gone on a two week trip. Tomorrow, I plan to put some seeds in some soil and see if some magic will happen! Overall my plants seem to do better when I am not here to fuss over them!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I am itching to get in the dirt sooooo bad! But I had some extensive surgery and cannot yet manage the stairs to the basement. It will be February before I can get around to cleaning off my seedling shelves.

If the path to the shed wasn't so slick and muddy I could manage that if I had someone walking with me. Seeds that need cold spells could be put in there. But all my potting soil is frozen, except what is in the basement. Even my last bit of coir fiber is a chunk of ice. No money to buy more.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”