Gardener123
Green Thumb

Need help with lighting.

So, someone gave me 2 old light systems.... a 4' and a 2'. There were unmarked bulbs in them. No brand name. They did have stickers that said "Full spectrum lights" on them. To me they just look like any old florescent light... like shop lights. They have the 2 pins at the end.

So, can I just pick any brand? And what about the "T" number? ( I have no understanding of that )

I plan to start ( should say "hope" ) to start my seeds and then use this system until May.... but I am planting my superhot peppers in December this year.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

If those are really old light systems, they are probably for T-12 bulbs, and they probably have old magnetic ballasts in them, and maybe even starters - those little cylinders with 2 pins in them, that install in about a 5/8" hole above the lamps. These can be replaced by electronic ballasts for T-8 bulbs, which have less wattage, and you can get some with a higher output, and much longer life. I once bought a dozen electronic ballasts, and replaced every ballast in my house, as well as the bulbs in all of those fixtures. It was amazing how bright my workshop was, compared to before! And that was with the lower wattage bulbs. Electronic ballasts are easy to install.

applestar
Mod

T numbers indicate the diameter of the tubes in 1/8 inch increments. So t8 tube is 1 inch in diameter.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

pepperhead212 wrote:If those are really old light systems, they are probably for T-12 bulbs, and they probably have old magnetic ballasts in them, and maybe even starters - those little cylinders with 2 pins in them, that install in about a 5/8" hole above the lamps. These can be replaced by electronic ballasts for T-8 bulbs, which have less wattage, and you can get some with a higher output, and much longer life. I once bought a dozen electronic ballasts, and replaced every ballast in my house, as well as the bulbs in all of those fixtures. It was amazing how bright my workshop was, compared to before! And that was with the lower wattage bulbs. Electronic ballasts are easy to install.

OK, so I went and REALLY looked for stuff on them, and in fact they have T-12 imprinted on them....

Can you give me a link to what you mean with the T-8's? or is this what you mean?

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dual-E ... lbs+4+foot

PaulF
Greener Thumb

If your fixtures are made for T-12 (fatter tubes) you should stick with T-12 bulbs. T-8s are skinnier and require a fixture made for that size with the proper ballast and/or starter. That is very much simplified but is a good rule of thumb. Unless you can do rewiring it is cheaper and easier to put bulbs in fixtures they were made for.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”