erins327

Starting seeds for Fall in the hot South

Hey Y'all,

I'm already thinking about my Fall garden here down in Houston TX. I have attempted to do this twice, with no luck on a few things. Even in the house (roughly 79 degrees) under grow lights, they seems to grow and wilt and never get a good start- mainly the broccoli and spinach seedlings.

Any tips on getting them started better? I have no problem getting Spring things going like tomatoes, squash, artichokes, etc. So I know its not the lights, soil, or method. The only thing I can think of is 79 degrees is still too hot?

applestar
Mod

I think so too. Can you find a location that's bit cooler? Can you set up your lights by the air conditioner vent? When I had my a/c serviced, the guy said it's supposed to come out 10°F lower than the thermostat setting.

imafan26
Mod

I start my seeds outside in the shade or on the nursery bench. It is almost 90 here. For me the problem is the snails keep eating the seedlings, they plants grow fine as long as they get adequate water. I start my seeds under cover. Literally, I put a tray on top of my seeded tray to keep the birds from eating the seeds so the seeds are actually germinated in about 50% shade. Sometimes I do have to start the broccoli more than once. I usually try to start them in July but most of the time they cooperate in September. Picking the right variety matters, it needs to be heat tolerant. I hear Packman is good (I haven't tried it) Italian green sprouting, Di Cicco have done well for me. Comet used to do well but I can't find seeds anymore.

erins327

What a bummer guys! I was hoping my best case scenario was just something obvious I was missing.

Unfortunately Applestar, my AC vents are all located up high.

With 100 degrees the next few days and a heat index in the 110's I am SO OVER SUMMER!

I don't have a big enough garden where it is financially profitable to grow winter stuff from seed anyways, its more of a hobby. So I guess I'll do it the 'modern' way and buy from a nursery in Oct/Nov. Our winters are too short too to start them when it finally cools off down here from seed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not as South or hot as you, but I am also getting ready to plant things for fall. I will be just direct seeding things in the ground. Have you tried that? The ground stays cooler and moister than containers. I will let you know how it goes for me after I get things planted.

Allyn
Green Thumb

I'm a hot-weather seed starter, too. I don't usually have a problem getting them started, but my A/C is set to 70 degrees F, the plant shelves are right in front of an A/C vent and I have a fan on each shelf that blows air across the medium.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Erins,

I gave up on starting fall crops from seed. Too much work with too little return. I cheat and buy starts. :oops:

Good luck

imafan26
Mod

Some things like broccoli which I start now while it is hot, I start it with some cover. Either under shade cloth or hidden between pots so it gets shade from them. They do have to be watered more often with a midday misting to keep it cool.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Allyn wrote:I'm a hot-weather seed starter, too. I don't usually have a problem getting them started, but my A/C is set to 70 degrees F, the plant shelves are right in front of an A/C vent and I have a fan on each shelf that blows air across the medium.
Wow, 70 degrees!? We keep ours set to 79 or 80, just enough to cool it off a little and remove a lot of humidity. For me, if it is 90 or 95 outside and 70 inside, then to step outside the door feels TERRIBLE and it makes me never want to be outside. It is much easier to go in and out and still tolerate outdoors when the discrepancy isn't so huge. (Not to mention saving energy, money, and wear and tear on your HVAC system.)

Allyn
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:
Allyn wrote:I'm a hot-weather seed starter, too. I don't usually have a problem getting them started, but my A/C is set to 70 degrees F, the plant shelves are right in front of an A/C vent and I have a fan on each shelf that blows air across the medium.
Wow, 70 degrees!? We keep ours set to 79 or 80, just enough to cool it off a little and remove a lot of humidity. For me, if it is 90 or 95 outside and 70 inside, then to step outside the door feels TERRIBLE and it makes me never want to be outside. It is much easier to go in and out and still tolerate outdoors when the discrepancy isn't so huge. (Not to mention saving energy, money, and wear and tear on your HVAC system.)
I'm glad that works for you. It doesn't work for me. I am not going to sit in a too-warm house and sweat all summer. If the A/C wears out, I'll get a better one. I only have to heat/cool 400 square feet, so I promise you it isn't working all that hard. My electric bill is about $100 a month and I'm comfortable in my own house. :) 'Nuff said.

imafan26
Mod

I turned my ac on the other day for 30 minutes. It has been muggy lately with it raining in the morning and steamy in the afternoon. It is about 90 outside, it feels a bit warmer inside.I would like to turn on the ac more but electricity is expensive here.I pay about $100 a month too, but I have most things unplugged. I have night lights on the stairs and I turn lights on and off when I pass through rooms. Most of the electricity costs are from the chest freezer, 2 refrigerators, 2 water heaters (on timers), about 4 loads a week in the washer and dryer. Lately I have turned on the ceiling fan at night to help cool things down.

I haven't turned on the ac in years. I am amazed it still works. I haven't turned the other one on even longer.

I like to be working when it gets really hot. At least I can spend part of the time in the AC at the stores.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I usually plant a fall garden Aug 15th in 95 degree heat. Seeds are hard to germinate in 95 degree weather they must have a built in thermometer that knows better. If I plant seeds in plant trays they germinate fine inside the house at 70 degrees. Then I move the plants outside under a shade tree so they get only morning sun. Plant trays need to set it pans of water a 4 foot diameter child's plastic swim pool with 1" of water works good.

If I plant corn and beans in rows in the garden soil they have to be watered about every 2 hours to make them germinate I think COLD water is more important than being wet. I planted, chard, BoK Choy, Napa, beet seeds in the garden and watered then 4 times every day Bok Choy & Napa are the only seeds that germinated in 2 days they both came from china and were not in the refrigerator 3 months.

Cold weather crops are double hard to get started. If I keep the seeds in the refrigerator for 3 months they are easier to germinate. Broccoli, kale, chard, lettuce, beats, carrots are all hard to start even in the house. I am starting to think seeds can feel the heat of the day time sun and the cold after dark, they will not germinate until conditions are right. Once they germinate they must be outside in real sunlight.

I have been buying several of my seeds on Ebay that come from China they germinate in 2 or 3 days much faster than American seeds. Go figure.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”