cornichonsfiend
Newly Registered

Sprouted seeds straight into outdoor containers?

Hi!

I'm new on here, and new to starting anything from seed!

My issue is:

I'm wondering if you can take seeds that your have just sprouted indoors, and transplant them directly into outdoor planters (with good seed-starting soil "pockets" within otherwise rich and properly prepared soil), and skip the step of small seedling pots indoors.

Will this kill the sprouted seed? Should I just direct-sow?

I just started to germinate some Parisian pickling cucumber seeds (since you can't buy the seedlings or the cucumbers ANYWHERE in the Northeast U.S.) indoors, and am planning on growing them in large container pots with trellises. I'm just trying to jump-start the process -- I direct-sowed some seeds about 10 days ago, but planted them too deep (I think...went about 2 inches, should've done only 1/2-inch :cry: ) and they never germinated.

Any other tricks to growing these cornichons are also most welcome!

Thank you so much!

-Tom

P.S. The whole inspiration for doing this occurred like 2 weeks ago, hence the late-July planting. But I don't care! I want some cornichons, even if it's only late Sept./Early Oct. --- I'm a fiend! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you are better off going directly to outdoor containers. If you keep them in a pot indoors, you will have to have good lighting for them AND then you will have to gradually harden them off to be able to take them outdoors, because they get tender being indoors.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

HI Corni,

Welcome to the forum. This time of year it is best to start your seeds and cuttings out doors. I start on the patio under the cover. Cucumbers are best direct seeded - planted in their final home. They are not the best vegetables to plant from starts.

Any plants that you start indoors needs to be hardened off before planting in their final home. That means gradually moving them from inside to outside. A rather arduous endeavor for a new gardener.

I have no clue about your location. In south Louisiana direct seeded cucumbers planted like now will give 2 or 3 months of production into the fall.

If you live in one of those cold state it is probably too late. Your first frost will kill your plants long before production. Wait until after last frost in the spring.

Good luck

applestar
Mod

If you are talking about just pre-germinated seeds with root tips showing, yes I do it all the time. Direct in the garden as well as small containers to start.

Key is not to let the roots grow too long, especially cucurbitae need to be extra careful not to disturb/touch roots.

They need to be planted in pre-moistened soil and not allowed to dry out. This makes it bit more difficult to do in hot summer. I like sowing pre-germinated seeds on cloudy or overcast days in day after it rained or while gently misting/ drizzling, but not raining hard.

If the seeds have already sprouted seedleaves, they need to be protected from the sun at first, just day or two.

I posted pictures earlier in spring in my garden progress thread.

cornichonsfiend
Newly Registered

Thank you all so much!

@applestar, yes, that's exactly what I was talking about -- just barely some roots showing. Great tips on the right conditions for planting them.

Per all your advice, I'm going to direct-sow straight from seed at the proper depth, and then plant some of the sprouted seeds just as an experiment, and compare the results.

Thanks again!!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”