Mrspfunk
Newly Registered

Buttercrisp lettuce isn't so crisp :/ seeds fell over

:( First year starting seeds indoor. Planted butter crisp lettuce. Seeds sprouted but have fallen over, is this normal? They just kinda collapsed with the weight and are not very big. They seem brittle and thin.

imafan26
Mod

If you watered overhead they can fall over. It is best to bottom water. Lettuce seedlings are soft, but they grow fast. You should plant them out when they are 1.5- 2 inches tall. It will only take a couple of weeks. Seedlings do not like to dry out completely but they will dampen off if they are soggy so you do have to balance the watering. Do not let anything sit in a tray of water. What is not absorbed within 10 minutes should be drained off.

applestar
Mod

I'm wondering if your seedlings were light starved and were very weak. That seems to be a very common first time mistake.

Overwatering resulting in damping off is also definitely possible as imafan mentioned.

Lettuce is easy to start so don't be discouraged and start some more. If its above freezing in your location, you can also start lettuce in containers or in the ground outside -- you do need big enough containers so the potting mix won't dry out too quickly. And it will take longer to sprout. What has the temperatures high/low been like?

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Hi Mrspfunk,
I'd suggest you try to plant the seeds outdoors, it's always been easier this way for me.
Or if you really prefer to start them indoors, I suggest that you mist the seeds and the soil with a spray bottle. The delicate seedlings like the light mist a lot better than the pouring water of the watering can or whatever else you use to water them.

Also, what is the light source of the light that the seedlings are receiving?

Mrspfunk
Newly Registered

They are in a container and are watered from the bottom....I have them indoors, and they get morning sunlight...all over my other seeds have sprouted and grown into plants, but these are just brittle have no strength to them.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”