SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Doubling Up Seed Starts in Solo Cups

Need some advice.
After promising my Mom and Brother some plants for their garden I realized I will be undersized in my grow area by about 40%.
I know it's not the best way, but has anyone doubled up plants in the Solo Cups.
I know I'll be fine with herbs but was wondering if doubling up Pepper plants is doable.

I broadcast seeded a bunch of peppers and need a game-plan when potting up and thinning.

Here's what I got so far,

California Wonder
Corno Di Toro Giallo
Jalapeno
Ruby King
Tabasco
Poblano
Ghost Chili
Datil
Anaheim

I don't want to double up on my Tomatoes or Eggplants

applestar
Mod

What size solo cups were you planning to use? Pepper seedlings are way smaller and slower to grow than tomato seedlings, with smaller root systems, and I always use smaller containers throughout their seedling life (and even as mature plants with many peppers). So compared to tomatoes, more pepper seedlings should fit in a given growing area.

But FWIW, I have found peppers to tolerate significant level of crowding and don't compete with each other like the tomatoes do. So I'm pretty sure it would be OK to double up, especially the smaller pepper varieties and slower growing varieties. Just plant the double-plants without trying to separate, and space the twins wider apart.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:What size solo cups were you planning to use? Pepper seedlings are way smaller and slower to grow than tomato seedlings, with smaller root systems, and I always use smaller containers throughout their seedling life (and even as mature plants with many peppers). So compared to tomatoes, more pepper seedlings should fit in a given growing area.

But FWIW, I have found peppers to tolerate significant level of crowding and don't compete with each other like the tomatoes do. So I'm pretty sure it would be OK to double up, especially the smaller pepper varieties and slower growing varieties. Just plant the double-plants without trying to separate, and space the twins wider apart.
They are 16 oz. solo cups

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I many times double up on seed in the starting flats, but always give each plant its own space when up potted to 3 inch peat pots. Sometimes I use used fast food drink cups.

applestar
Mod

What volume fl.oz. do you think those 3" pots hold?

imafan26
Mod

I start pretty much everything in community pots. I don't use cups, I use 3.5 or 4 inch square pots because they fit the tray better. I actually plant anything from 10-50 seeds in single pot. For peppers about 8-10 will fit in a 3.5 inch pot. They can be transplanted to individual pots once they have true leaves. Usually that is when I really get crunched for space. Once the seeds have sprouted though, they can be taken off the heating mats and will do fine under lights until they are hardened off to the outside. Peppers transplant fairly well. You will have to take them apart carefully and only hold them by the leaves not the root.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”