Ole Dummy

Starting onions from seed

I am going to try starting my onions from seed this year. Can anyone tell me when to plant the seeds inside for planting the plants in Feb. They are candy onion seed.

Thanks

applestar
Mod

From all I've read, onions are pretty winter hardy -- what is the coldest it gets in decatur, alabama?

The coldest general tolerance I have read about is 0°F but that may be the long day varieties suited to the north. Candy is an intermediate day variety but it's one of the few that I have read can be overwintered -- more cold tolerant than others. I think if it gets no lower than 20's you could definitely grow them outside and not grow them inside to plant out in spring, though I suppose you could start them in flats first for better weed control in the initial seedling stages.

I imagine that's why most of the onion plants come from farms in the south....

Ole Dummy

we have a few days in the 20's some may go into the teens but normally don't stay that low for very long. more 30's and 40's than anything else.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Yes, Nebraska is pretty much in the frozen north compared to Alabama, but onions seeds got planted here around the last frost date and grew out really well. Bet that would work for you. Just go from last frost date...would that be January sometime?

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”