Susan W
Greener Thumb

De-capitators are back!

The mystery is back with the de-capitators. This is sprouted seeds, still new not real 1st leaves, and GONE! Top gone, leaving stem. I had some nice basils coming along, sprouted, put outside, sheltered. Next day the green basil and bits of some of the others be-headed. Whatever took a liking to thyme, but didn't get the whole tray (12 per peat pellet). I have a tray of 12 in 4" pots, some 'fast seeds' as I call them. Mexican sunflower, borage and cucumber leaf sunflower. 1st 2 coming along. Then finally saw signs of green from other. Next day...vanished! It took a liking to some zinnias just poking out of soil also, paused somewhat after trying a few of the marigolds in same flat.

It's an ongoing mystery if the be-header flies, 4 footed, slinks or crawls.

Started a few more 'fast seeds', need to be inside until they get up a bit. Sigh

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Slugs are the worst pests for my basil, though I'm sure many other pests are out there, esp. in other areas.

imafan26
Mod

slugs and cutworms. If it is cutworms a collar will help protect the seedlings. You can try a cloche overnight made from a pop bottle. Take it off in the morning. The pests do most of their damage at night but do their worst when the seedlings are very young. You need to use slug bait in case it is snails or slugs doing the damage.

I don't have much luck seeing them at night, so I usually go on snail hunts early in the morning before the dew dries. I get 4-6 these days. My record was 21.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Are these edible snails imafan26?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

These are outside, but still in flats/ containers?

It could be cutworms, but I think the cutworms often (not always) leave some of the plant:
https://extension.cropsciences.illinois. ... eeding.jpg

what was disappearing my seedlings was rabbit. Some were totally disappeared, some there was just a little stub left about ground level, and the bean seedlings had been eaten from the top down, but leaving the seed leaves (apparently bunny didn't like them). These seedlings were in the ground in soft soil and there were footprints around. I don't know if your seedlings are in a situation where footprints would show?

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”