Ginger Spudman
Newly Registered

Advice for my Sprouts

Hi all, need some advice on what to do with some of my sprouts. In the pic below (No idea why it's sideways and I don't know how to rotate it) is a Marigold sprout that is having a hard time shedding its seed shell. The tips of the cotyledon leaves are stuck. Do I just wait for it to fall off on your own or do I need to help it out somehow?
20160407_175030.jpg
Also, my Delphiniums are now starting to sprout true leaves. I tried attaching pics but they're too big. They are presently in seedling starter mix. I understand that I need to start fertilizing them soon... when? with what? how much? I have about 3-4 of them in 4-inch pots... Do I need to transplant them? If so, when?

Thanks!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Not sure about the delphiniums but I do know that you shouldn't pull the seed off of the marigold sprout. It will fall off on it's own when time is right. :)

Ginger Spudman
Newly Registered

Here are the Delphs... I know I should have put more mix in the pot initially... now I'm paranoid about inadvertently harming these guys. Do they need transplanting yet? A bigger pot? They're not too crowded are they?
20160409_152724.jpg
20160409_152741.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Delphiniums are fine so far. When they have fully developed true leaves is time to start fertilizing them. Any balanced liquid fertilizer that you can put in the water should be fine, doesn't need to be super concentrated. If the leaves start touching each other or the roots start coming out of the bottom of the pot, it is time to move them to their own individual pots, which should have deeper soil.

Mature delphinium has anchor roots 15 inches deep into the soil and shallow feeder roots 18 inches out from the stem. So be sure you give them plenty of room and deep soft soil.

Ginger Spudman
Newly Registered

Another small update... I've notice the tips of this Sweet William turning white. Is something wrong with it? I fear I may have over watered. Can I save it?
20160419_185852.jpg

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”