Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Broccoli and cabbage seedlings somewhat leggy

I'm not sure why. I am using the usual grow lite setup with the 6500 K temp 4 foot bulbs, I have the lights right down close to the plants, but they're bit leggier than previous yrs.

I can only think of a couple of things. This year will be the third year for these lights. Maybe they're not as intense as they should be. I have read that they lose intensity after a certain number of hours. They're on 18 hrs per day at this point.

The second possibility is that I planted 3 to 4 seeds per little grow cell, and maybe they were stretching themselves out in competitive fashion? I waited til the nubbins of true leaves began to form before snipping off all but one plant per cell.

applestar
Mod

I replace my 48" t12's and t8's when they start to get actual dark lines 1-2 inches from the ends, though they are visibly dimmer before that. I mark those old as opposed to bad, and keep for emergencies. When I put a new tube in, I write the date with a permanent marker on one end. I never really kept track, but I feel better when I do that.

T5's will actually go out shortly after getting those dark lines on the ends. I only have 24 and 36 inch (Not exactly but around those numbers) though, so I don't know if the 4 footers do the same thing.

The tubes are dimmer on the ends, so it's a good idea to move the plants around somehow if you can, or put lower light tolerant seedlings on the ends and keep the ones that need brighter light in the middle of the tubes.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Thank you. I don't know which T type I have. The only thing I paid attention to was the Kelvin temp. They are Phillips brand; 40 watt; and green on the end if that means anything. They are regular diameter, not skinny ones.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get new ones.

applestar
Mod

The way it was explained to me, the T numbers correspond to the diameter of the tubes in 1/8" increments, so t8 is 1" in diameter.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”